Aug 23, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
The Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list after being hit by a Gaby Sanchez line drive in the fourth inning of yesterday’s start against the Pirates. X-rays showed Cain did not suffer a fracture. In his place, the Giants have called up Yusmeiro Petit and he will likely make at least one spot start on Tuesday against the Rockies, per Henry Schulman.
It’s been a rough year for Cain. Prior to the injury, which put him on the DL for the first time in his nine-year Major League career, he was looking forward to ending his 2013 on a high note. His ERA was at 5.00 as recently as July 26, but in his five starts prior to yesterday’s, he posted a 2.25 ERA in 36 innings of work. Overall, his ERA is now at 4.43, a career-worst.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)