Aug 23, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list after being hit by a Gaby Sanchez line drive in the fourth inning of yesterday’s start against the Pirates. X-rays showed Cain did not suffer a fracture. In his place, the Giants have called up Yusmeiro Petit and he will likely make at least one spot start on Tuesday against the Rockies, per Henry Schulman.
It’s been a rough year for Cain. Prior to the injury, which put him on the DL for the first time in his nine-year Major League career, he was looking forward to ending his 2013 on a high note. His ERA was at 5.00 as recently as July 26, but in his five starts prior to yesterday’s, he posted a 2.25 ERA in 36 innings of work. Overall, his ERA is now at 4.43, a career-worst.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)