Aug 23, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
The Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list after being hit by a Gaby Sanchez line drive in the fourth inning of yesterday’s start against the Pirates. X-rays showed Cain did not suffer a fracture. In his place, the Giants have called up Yusmeiro Petit and he will likely make at least one spot start on Tuesday against the Rockies, per Henry Schulman.
It’s been a rough year for Cain. Prior to the injury, which put him on the DL for the first time in his nine-year Major League career, he was looking forward to ending his 2013 on a high note. His ERA was at 5.00 as recently as July 26, but in his five starts prior to yesterday’s, he posted a 2.25 ERA in 36 innings of work. Overall, his ERA is now at 4.43, a career-worst.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 20
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 187
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)