Aug 23, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
The Giants have placed starter Matt Cain on the 15-day disabled list after being hit by a Gaby Sanchez line drive in the fourth inning of yesterday’s start against the Pirates. X-rays showed Cain did not suffer a fracture. In his place, the Giants have called up Yusmeiro Petit and he will likely make at least one spot start on Tuesday against the Rockies, per Henry Schulman.
It’s been a rough year for Cain. Prior to the injury, which put him on the DL for the first time in his nine-year Major League career, he was looking forward to ending his 2013 on a high note. His ERA was at 5.00 as recently as July 26, but in his five starts prior to yesterday’s, he posted a 2.25 ERA in 36 innings of work. Overall, his ERA is now at 4.43, a career-worst.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 44
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 17
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)