Aug 23, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
All that speculation about how the Nationals didn’t necessarily even want David DeJesus when they claimed him off waivers and then acquired him from the Cubs last week? Looks pretty spot, as they’ve now traded him to the Rays.
That means DeJesus’ stint with Washington lasted all of three games and four plate appearances, which makes general manager Mike Rizzo’s quotes about why he acquired the veteran outfielder pretty damn amusing.
DeJesus’ contract has a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for next season and the Nationals have a set outfield in Bryce Harper, Denard Span, and Jayson Werth, so it never made a whole lot of sense. However, in Tampa Bay he should play fairly regularly down the stretch (and possibly into the playoffs) and could have a sizable role for 2014.
DeJesus can play all three outfield spots and is usually good for an OPS around .750, including good on-base skills and modest power. Tampa Bay is sending Washington the standard player to be named later or cash considerations.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)