Aug 23, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
All that speculation about how the Nationals didn’t necessarily even want David DeJesus when they claimed him off waivers and then acquired him from the Cubs last week? Looks pretty spot, as they’ve now traded him to the Rays.
That means DeJesus’ stint with Washington lasted all of three games and four plate appearances, which makes general manager Mike Rizzo’s quotes about why he acquired the veteran outfielder pretty damn amusing.
DeJesus’ contract has a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for next season and the Nationals have a set outfield in Bryce Harper, Denard Span, and Jayson Werth, so it never made a whole lot of sense. However, in Tampa Bay he should play fairly regularly down the stretch (and possibly into the playoffs) and could have a sizable role for 2014.
DeJesus can play all three outfield spots and is usually good for an OPS around .750, including good on-base skills and modest power. Tampa Bay is sending Washington the standard player to be named later or cash considerations.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 22
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 16
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)