Aug 23, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
The Phillies have shut down rookie starter Jonathan Pettibone for another three to six weeks, reports CSN Philly’s John Finger. The right-hander hasn’t started since the end of July due to a strained right shoulder. A recent MRI revealed inflammation in his right rotator cuff, but thankfully there is no structural damage. He will receive a second opinion from orthopedist Dr. Neal ElAttrache.
Amaro on Pettibone’s setback:
“We’re going to be cautious with Jonathan. We don’t want to mess around with him too much,” Amaro said. “He has inflammation of his rotator cuff and some of the normal changes on his labrum that normally happen at this stage of his career, so we’re going to shut him down.”
Pettibone was a bright spot in an otherwise grim season for the Phillies. He initially joined the rotation when John Lannan succumbed to an injury in April, but stuck around out of necessity. He posted a 4.04 ERA in 100.1 innings spread out over 18 starts.
In other injured Phillies starter news, Roy Halladay will make a third rehab start with Double-A Reading on Sunday. He has looked less-than-stellar in his previous two starts, but the Phillies are hoping he can shake that off this weekend and return to the rotation in time to make another four or five starts to give them an idea what he has left in the tank.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 11
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 50
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)