Aug 23, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
There’s been plenty of speculation about the fates of Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Jerry Dipoto, but Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com offers a bit of substance in reporting that one of them will be a goner after the season.
According to Morosi “philosophical differences exist between the men and it has become increasingly apparent to organization that status quo is not tenable.”
Angels owner Arte Moreno gave Scioscia a pretty big vote of confidence earlier this season, saying things like “Mike has zero problems” and “I have no questions about Mike.” Of course, that was back in May and the Angels have continued to struggle on their way to a 55-71 record.
One big factor? Scioscia is signed through 2018, so Moreno would have to eat a bunch of money to make MLB’s longest-tenured manager go away. On the other hand, Moreno fired Tony Reagins as GM and replaced him with Dipoto just two years ago, so cutting him loose would be admitting a big blunder. And if Dipoto is let go the fact that Moreno forced him to make certain moves, including signing Josh Hamilton to a huge, almost immediately regrettable contract, will be tough to ignore.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)