Aug 23, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of speculation about the fates of Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Jerry Dipoto, but Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com offers a bit of substance in reporting that one of them will be a goner after the season.
According to Morosi “philosophical differences exist between the men and it has become increasingly apparent to organization that status quo is not tenable.”
Angels owner Arte Moreno gave Scioscia a pretty big vote of confidence earlier this season, saying things like “Mike has zero problems” and “I have no questions about Mike.” Of course, that was back in May and the Angels have continued to struggle on their way to a 55-71 record.
One big factor? Scioscia is signed through 2018, so Moreno would have to eat a bunch of money to make MLB’s longest-tenured manager go away. On the other hand, Moreno fired Tony Reagins as GM and replaced him with Dipoto just two years ago, so cutting him loose would be admitting a big blunder. And if Dipoto is let go the fact that Moreno forced him to make certain moves, including signing Josh Hamilton to a huge, almost immediately regrettable contract, will be tough to ignore.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)