Aug 23, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of speculation about the fates of Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Jerry Dipoto, but Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com offers a bit of substance in reporting that one of them will be a goner after the season.
According to Morosi “philosophical differences exist between the men and it has become increasingly apparent to organization that status quo is not tenable.”
Angels owner Arte Moreno gave Scioscia a pretty big vote of confidence earlier this season, saying things like “Mike has zero problems” and “I have no questions about Mike.” Of course, that was back in May and the Angels have continued to struggle on their way to a 55-71 record.
One big factor? Scioscia is signed through 2018, so Moreno would have to eat a bunch of money to make MLB’s longest-tenured manager go away. On the other hand, Moreno fired Tony Reagins as GM and replaced him with Dipoto just two years ago, so cutting him loose would be admitting a big blunder. And if Dipoto is let go the fact that Moreno forced him to make certain moves, including signing Josh Hamilton to a huge, almost immediately regrettable contract, will be tough to ignore.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (87)