Aug 23, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of speculation about the fates of Angels manager Mike Scioscia and general manager Jerry Dipoto, but Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com offers a bit of substance in reporting that one of them will be a goner after the season.
According to Morosi “philosophical differences exist between the men and it has become increasingly apparent to organization that status quo is not tenable.”
Angels owner Arte Moreno gave Scioscia a pretty big vote of confidence earlier this season, saying things like “Mike has zero problems” and “I have no questions about Mike.” Of course, that was back in May and the Angels have continued to struggle on their way to a 55-71 record.
One big factor? Scioscia is signed through 2018, so Moreno would have to eat a bunch of money to make MLB’s longest-tenured manager go away. On the other hand, Moreno fired Tony Reagins as GM and replaced him with Dipoto just two years ago, so cutting him loose would be admitting a big blunder. And if Dipoto is let go the fact that Moreno forced him to make certain moves, including signing Josh Hamilton to a huge, almost immediately regrettable contract, will be tough to ignore.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 7
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)