Aug 23, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
After blowing two consecutive saves in Philadelphia on Wednesday and Thursday, the Rockies have placed closer Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right elbow, reports MLB.com’s Michael Radano. He will undergo an MRI on Monday which the club hopes assuages their fear he has torn his ulnar ligament.
On Wednesday, Betancourt recorded just one out while allowing two doubles and an intentional walk before Michael Young hit a walk-off single to left field. On Thursday, Betancourt got two quick outs in the bottom of the ninth, but Betancourt then allowed a double, a stolen base, an infield single, and a walk before Domonic Brown laced a walk-off RBI single to right field. The two shaky outings caused the 38-year-old Betancourt’s ERA to rise from 2.93 to 4.08.
Betancourt was on the DL twice previously this season: from June 1-28 with a strained right groin, and from July 15 through August 16 with appendicitis.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)