Aug 23, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Jim Leyland has penciled Victor Martinez into tonight’s lineup. Not as a DH, though. As a catcher.
This marks the first time behind the plate since August 4, 2011. Between Alex Avila coming up and Martinez tearing his ACL before the 2012 season, catching just wasn’t in the cards for him. But now Alex Avila is recovering from a concussion and the Tigers are playing in an NL Park and Jim Leyland doesn’t want to take Martinez’s bat out of the lineup.
Never a great defensive catcher when that was his usual gig, the time off has probably made him pretty rusty. If the Mets get runners on base, you have to assume they’ll have the green light all night long.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (154)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)