Aug 23, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Jim Leyland has penciled Victor Martinez into tonight’s lineup. Not as a DH, though. As a catcher.
This marks the first time behind the plate since August 4, 2011. Between Alex Avila coming up and Martinez tearing his ACL before the 2012 season, catching just wasn’t in the cards for him. But now Alex Avila is recovering from a concussion and the Tigers are playing in an NL Park and Jim Leyland doesn’t want to take Martinez’s bat out of the lineup.
Never a great defensive catcher when that was his usual gig, the time off has probably made him pretty rusty. If the Mets get runners on base, you have to assume they’ll have the green light all night long.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)