Vin Scully is coming back in 2014

Aug 23, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Scully Rainbow

You wake up each morning and act like going to work one more day will be the death of you and that you’ll never make it to 65. Meanwhile, in Los Angeles, a dude decides to come back for his 65th year at his job. Bill Shaikin reports that Vin Scully will be back in 2014. Vin:

“It has been such an exciting, enjoyable, wonderful season — the big crowds in the ballpark, everybody is talking about the ballclub, and I really respect, admire and love the management — so everything just fell into place,” Scully said. “I really still enjoy it immensely. My health is good, thank God. So why not? And my wife said, ‘Why not?’ as well.

Interesting that the excitement about the team was a key consideration for Scully. And here I thought Yasiel Puig was ruining it for everyone.

1. dondada10 - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I still think Fox should give Scully a one man booth for the World Series.

• sdelmonte - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I will just settle for him getting to do one more World Series on the radio. Which is a distinct possibility.

• Travis Reitsma - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM

If anyone dislikes the above comment, I will find you…

• pjmarn6 - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The only one ruining it for everyone is KING CACA. If he can’t find the desire to get up out of bed every day, then stay in it and let the rest of the world enjoy the other decent writers.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The one ruining it for everyone is KING CACA. If he can’t find the desire to get up out of bed every day, then stay in it and let the rest of the world enjoy the other decent writers.

2. chiadam - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM

If you don’t like Vin Scully, I don’t like you.

3. wheels579 - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Wonderful news for a wonderful man. Should the Dodgers reach the World Series, Joe Buck needs to step aside for Vinny. At least for the games at Dodger Stadium.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM

How in the hell does Joe Buck keep his job? To call him a bore would be an insult to bores.

If he’d been calling the ’88 World Series, he would’ve said, “Well, it looks like it may…yeah. It’s outta here. Home run. Game over. ‘Night.”

• ptfu - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Yup. Vin Scully said less than that, and conveyed more.

• yahmule - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Joe is one of the many members of the lucky sperm club. Acutely aware of his privileged status and taking open doors as his birthright, Joe has always seemed to convey a bored indifference to whatever proceedings he deigned to grace with his presence.

Then he decided he was going to be Bob Costas.

So Not Safe For Work.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Oh, man…

That Artie Lange appearance is SO brutal and uncomfortable to watch.

As much as I dislike Buck and like Artie, I think he was way out of line here…it’s just bullying for the sake of bullying.

Artie admitted he’d snorted some painkillers and been drinking prior to this appearance on the Stern show.

• yahmule - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I couldn’t disagree more. No way am I going to get squeamish when a pampered smug daddy’s boy like Buck is squirming in his seat. I’m laughing as hard as everybody in the audience. The bottom line is the show failed because, like everything else Buck does, he conveyed an attitude that he made him unlikable and unsympathetic. You might not be aware of this, but Buck was so desperate for ratings near the end of the quickly aborted vanity vehicle, they actually invited Lange to come back on the show. As far as the painkillers and booze, Artie Lange probably progressed beyond the point of functional alcoholic in middle school.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM

No, it was funny, but still cringe-worthy.

Buck’s a jackass, but the way Artie behaved was beyond boorish. There’s a fine line between scathing, vulgar comedy and just mean-spirited bullying, and Artie crossed it.

Just my opinion. Believe me, I have no sympathy for Buck, but I think Artie could have ridiculed him and his poor excuse for a show without being so hateful.

• yahmule - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I love humor that makes you cringe. I watched the Ricky Gervais version of The Office through my fingers and laughed myself silly. Horribly awkward situations make me laugh and awful people thrust into awkward situations make me laugh harder still. I watched Borat about eight times.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Haha, me too. The Office and Borat were both fantastic.

I guess I’m just not adequately describing what it was about Artie’s appearance that I found so objectionable.

I guess it’s because I’m a big nerd and I sympathized with Buck in that moment, despite the fact that I intensely dislike him as a broadcaster and as a media personality. I just sensed a bullying dynamic that I’ve been on the receiving end of before.

• yahmule - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I hear what you’re saying. I hate to see the powerless being abused, but I do enjoy it when certain people get their shoes squeezed a bit. Guys like Buck put a cork in my empathy spigot.

4. aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM

This is just all sorts of awesome. I love that guy…he truly loves what he does and it keeps him young.

We should all be so lucky.

5. voteforno6 - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Is it really work if you enjoy what you’re doing?

6. riverace19 - Aug 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Great news I can’t imagine a summer without his voice

7. bdoggjenkins - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Im showing my age but I remember when the Reds were in the NL west and the Dodgers were our biggest rivalry. I always loved to listen to Mr. Scully talking to Marty and Joe on the old Reds radio network. Im not sure there was or will ever be a finer caller of baseball games. I just fell in love during that 88 world series and his excitement and passion were unforgettable.

8. yahmule - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I grew up on Vin’s voice. This was my 40th season of listening to him and my appreciation for the man has only grown over the years. Today’s announcement was a nice early birthday present for me.

9. georgewashingtonsghost - Aug 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Fantastic news! I agree with the above comment–let Scully call a World Series game!

10. coloradogolfcoupons - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Best announcer ever. Any sport.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM

In his heyday, Scully covered NFL and golf. I think he called the 49ers-Dallas game that ended with the Montana to Clark reception.

11. myenta9345 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

IT’S 60 years for me and VIN.MEL ALLEN GARY COHEN ,JOE G just thank you,you guys make baseball a wonderful experience!!!!!

• dondada10 - Aug 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Thank you for putting Gary Cohen on that list. He’s great on t.v., but Gary was as close to Scully on the radio as it gets.

• peggykb9 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Don’t forget Vince and Lou of the Chicago Cubs. Lou Boudreau was the best! Vince Lloyd was a great teammate for him. Plus Lou was a Hall of Famer for playing AND announcing. And of course Harry Caray….

• tackandcover - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

If we’re going back to the days of Mel Allen (“How about that!” Ballantine beer and ale) let’s not forget Red Barber.

12. jimsjam33 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Chick Hearn -Vince Sculley UNBEATABLE

13. patriciodowns - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I’m a diehard SF Giants fan. I hate blue and white together on anything. And yet, I would gladly give my firstborn for Vin Scully to live forever broadcasting games, even if it also meant that Dem Bums won the next 30 World Series in a row and led the National League by 100 games each of those seasons. We love you, sir!

14. db105 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Wish they would have Scully on the radio for more than the first 3 innings of home games. Steiner is terrible.

15. meagain52 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

When I first heard him in the 70’s, I thought Vin Scully had hooked me on baseball radio broadcasts. Then I thought he had hooked me on the Dodgers. I finally realized I was actually hooked on Vin Scully’s announcing. All these years later it remains an absolutely pleasure to listen to Vin Scully call a baseball game on the radio. What he paints, with very few words, is comparable to the works of Michelangelo.

16. oldfan66 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Raccoon eyes should retire. He can’t remember the count, drones on about what color sox the player wore when he was in little league, and is probably the most annoying baseball announcer the Dodgers have. On TV he forgets we can see what’s happening, calls sliders in the dirt fast balls, etc. I’ll take Rick Monday any day of the week over Vinney. And yes I’m a Dodger fan!

17. sarasotan - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

The good news, oldfan66, is that you are in a VERY small minority of people who don’t like Vin Scully. In fact, your comment about Scully coming back is the only negative comment so far.

18. pop562 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Whose Rick Monday? Probably no one important and yes I’m a Dodgers fan.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You might be a Dodger fan but you’re not a knowledgeable one.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Well, come on Jim, tell him the story. No? OK, I will. 1970s if I recall. You can look it up. Monday was a Cub playing in the outfield in a game in the Ravine. Some anti-something protesters dash onto the field and try to set a US flag on fire but Monday runs over and snags the flag away. Big cheer and the Dodgers soon traded for him. And he was a really good player.

• pop562 - Aug 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’m very competent of who Vin Scully is…any other announcer doesn’t matter to me…once again Rick Monday? nope don’t care about him at all.

• lanflfan - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Rick Monday is a current Dodger announcer and former MLB OF who played with the A’s, Cubs, and Dodgers during an approximately 18 year MLB career.

While playing with the Cubs in 1976, before a game at Dodger Stadium, he snatched an American flag away from two protestors who had run onto the field and were attempting to burn the flag. There is an awesome picture of the incident (Wikipedia has a good shot), and there is video of it as well (probably on the Dodger website). I understand he still has that flag in his house.

Interestingly, he was traded to LA after the 1976 season. In 1981, he hit a game-winning home run against the Expos in Montreal during the NLCS, helping them to eventually winning the 1981 World Series title over the Yankees.

But he isn’t important…

19. wisbadgfan - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Great news– for all he has done for baseball and the dodgers he deserves to go out on his own terms.
    The best that I have ever listened to in painting a picture for fans. He is a great fountain of knowledge and just fascinating to listen to.
    As long as he is healthy, my hope is baseball fans will have the opportunity to listen to this great-great broadcaster.

20. hunterbishop2013 - Aug 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM

What’s wonderful about Vin is that he does the whole game alone. And it’s all about the game and the players. None of the inane banter among all those commentators stuffed in a booth. I agree he’s slipping but not so much as to be a distraction Umpires make a lot more mistakes than he does. Vin still does his homework, unlike most, and he’s still excited by the game of baseball. I love him.

21. dutchman45 - Aug 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Best reason to have the extra innings package. Always been an honor to listen and watch Mr. Scully.

22. lanflfan - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Best news I have heard today.

23. jcarne9014 - Aug 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The best…ever. No one else even close.

24. sportfan2 - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Class act, I never watch or listen to LA Dodgers cause I hate them. But Vince is still the best at any age.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3524)