Aug 23, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
What better way to close out the work week than with MLB’s end-of-the-afternoon steroid suspensions.
Today’s unlucky losers were both playing in the Dominican Summer League. Angels outfielder Angel Montilla was busted for Nandrolone, while White Sox right-hander Pedro Rodriguez got nabbed for Stanozolol.
Montilla, 20, was hitting .234/.321/.248 with 16 steals in 145 at-bats in his third year in the DSL. Rodriguez, 22, had allowed seven runs — three earned — in six innings. He was also in his third year in the league. Given their ages, both players may well have been on their way to getting released at season’s end even if not for the positive tests.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 0
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)