Aug 23, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
What better way to close out the work week than with MLB’s end-of-the-afternoon steroid suspensions.
Today’s unlucky losers were both playing in the Dominican Summer League. Angels outfielder Angel Montilla was busted for Nandrolone, while White Sox right-hander Pedro Rodriguez got nabbed for Stanozolol.
Montilla, 20, was hitting .234/.321/.248 with 16 steals in 145 at-bats in his third year in the DSL. Rodriguez, 22, had allowed seven runs — three earned — in six innings. He was also in his third year in the league. Given their ages, both players may well have been on their way to getting released at season’s end even if not for the positive tests.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)