Aug 24, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
The Cardinals were without closer Edward Mujica last night due to a nagging back issue, but Adam Wainwright rendered that moot by tossing his major league-leading fifth complete game in a 3-1 win over the Braves at Busch Stadium. He now leads the National League with 15 victories.
Wainwright held the Braves to six singles and no walks while striking out nine batters. The Cardinals’ ace needed 128 pitches to finish off the win, which is the second-highest pitch total of his career. Matt Holliday put St. Louis ahead with a solo homer off Kris Medlen in the sixth inning, but Wainwright provided some extra insurance with a sacrifice fly in the seventh. The man really does it all. The Braves have now lost back-to-back games for the first time since July 20-21.
While Wainwright had some ups and downs in his return from Tommy John surgery last year, he has returned to form as one of the National League’s best pitchers this season, posting a 2.58 ERA and 182/25 K/BB ratio over 198 2/3 innings. His 1.1 BB/9 is the lowest among qualified starting pitchers since Roy Halladay in 2010. If it wasn’t for the other-worldly success of Clayton Kershaw, he’d be right there for the National League Cy Young Award.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)