Aug 24, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Alex Avila began a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Triple-A Toledo after being sidelined due to a concussion, but his return to the Tigers is temporarily on hold.
According to Chris Iseman of MLB.com, Tigers manager Jim Leyland said that Avila had to make an early exit from his first rehab game due to a headache. The 26-year-old went 0-for-2 with a walk and caught three innings before exiting. He didn’t have any symptoms yesterday, but was held out of action as a precaution. The hope is that he could be able to serve as the DH today.
“You just take it slow for a day and then see how it plays out, and we’ll get him back into action,” Leyland said.
Avila is batting just .198/.288/.340 with nine home runs and 36 RBI over 73 games this season, though he was showing some signs of a turnaround prior to his concussion. While Brayan Pena and Bryan Holaday have done most of the catching during his absence, Victor Martinez made his first start behind the plate in two years last night.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)