Aug 24, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
UPDATE: Good news for the Yankees. Chad Jennings of the Journal News reports that X-rays came back negative on Gardner’s hand. He’s not in the lineup today, but is available off the bench.
10:04 a.m. ET: According to Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com, Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner may go for precautionary X-rays after he was hit on the right hand with a pitch in the third inning of last night’s loss to the Rays.
It’s worth noting that Gardner remained in the game and later tripled and singled. While the speedy outfielder doesn’t appear too concerned, the Yankees would prefer that he goes for tests.
“It’s not that bad,” he said. “So I’m not too worried about it.”
Gardner is batting .269/.337/.406 with eight home runs, 43 RBI and 22 stolen bases over 126 games this season while playing exclusively in center field. The Yankees can’t afford to lose him as they attempt to keep their postseason hopes alive.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 10
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 28
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)