ICYMI, Edwin Encarnacion is superb

Aug 24, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT

Edwin Encarnacion Getty Images

The Blue Jays are just going through the paces right now. Absent Jose Bautista, they’ve lost seven in a row and fallen to 57-73 on the season. The year’s most disappointing team, they have nothing left to play for.

Just don’t tell Edwin Encarnacion that. He’s homered three times during the current seven-game losing streak. Tonight’s was his 33rd of the year. He also walked three times, and he’s now sporting an outstanding 55/71 K/BB ratio for the year. Since the beginning of June, he has 18 homers, 47 walks and just 22 strikeouts.

Encarnacion is currently on pace to finish the season with 41 homers and 69 strikeouts. Just two different players since 2001 have managed to have 40-homer seasons while striking out less than 80 times: Albert Pujols did it six times, the last in 2010, and Barry Bonds did it three times (plus twice more in the 1990s).

This is Hall of Fame-type territory, for sure. Not that every player who has done it has gone on to the Hall of Fame, but almost everyone to accomplish it is at least a fringe candidate. Besides Bonds and Pujols, the last to get there were Gary Sheffield, Vladimir Guerrero, Todd Helton, Rafael Palmeiro and Mike Piazza. The exceptions to the fringe-HOFer rule in the last 40 years are Tino Martinez in 2007, George Bell in 1987 and Ben Oglivie in 1980.

Obviously, Encarnacion currently rates a lot closer to Martinez than Pujols, but he’s far from a flash in the pan. He was an underrated hitter in his early years in Cincinnati, with his poor glove holding him back and getting him sent to the bench whenever he had a few bad games in a row. He’s been one of the AL’s best hitters the last two years now and he’s still just 30. He should have at least another two or three big years in front of him.

1. tablescrappy - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Really? The most disappointing team? Wouldn’t that be the world champ giants, who are currently in last place behind the Padres and Rockies despite having returned their entire “championship” roster?

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yes really, the jays were picked by some so called experts to win the AL East, the giants deserve a break since they actually won the WS 2 times in the last few years, what have the jays done in the last 20? Oh yea, no playoffs that’s right!

• jerze2387 - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

“oh, you guys won 2 the last few years, take a year or 2 off, you deserve a break”

2. cur68 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

E5 is a stud. If people don’t know that then they don’t watch enough baseball. And his defence is not that bad. As for “going through the motions”, well I view it as playing for a draft pick and seeing what the AAA kids got. No other explanation for getting pummelled by the ‘Stros (er…sorry Stex).

• stex52 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I got bad news, Cur. They aren’t even in the same county with the Astros for #1 Draft Choice. And I wouldn’t qualify that came nearly so much as a team collapse as just a REALLY crappy pitching performance.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Perhaps not the same county but I bet they’re in the same province.

• historiophiliac - Aug 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I’m sorry to see that your elimination number appears to be at 3 now. It looks like you will be the first casualty of the season. My condolences.

3. sandrafluke2012 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM

HOF if he gets to 400? What about if Adam Dunn hits 700?

4. aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM

*waits for dirtyharry to melt down about the Blue Jays yet again*

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

You, me and all of HBT.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The Yankees lost another game to the Rays, but no mention of that from Harry.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

PC im here little buddy, I resigned to the fact the Yankees were not going to make the playoffs months ago but at least they will finish above .500 and not end up with a pathetic record like the bluejays who are not on the verge of being swept by the only team that is consider worse then the jays, now that’s really PATHETIC!! The ship is sunk!!

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I see my fan club awaits me, that’s typical around here and I want to start by thanking you all for all the wonderful emails you have sent me but with that said the Jays are now 16 games below .500. I think it was cur who predicted that they jays would not finish in last place but the Yanks would, hows that working out for you? Yea not so good, isn’t that always the case for you? Yes it is we know this, but anyway Edwin I just have one question for you….can you pitch? because until you can the jays losing express won’t be stopping anytime soon so all aboard the Pain Train baby!!! Im driving!! OH yea!

• cur68 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM

BINGO!
        Like a trained circus monkey, here he is.

Hey ‘harry, since you can be trained to show up on command can you also be trained not to steal and to bathe? What about flinging your poo? Can you be trained out of that?

5. kennedy76ca - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Oh look, Harry has nothing better to do than search out Jays posts and troll them.. This is so old and tiring..>Try getting a life man

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Don’t like it? don’t read it, plain and simple junior

6. sampleskaren - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:22 AM

what Marcus implied I didn’t know that a stay at home mom able to get paid $4252 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you read ★★★ cuturl.net/fa926

7. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I predicted the yanks would finish last. Didn’t realize their hero A-Rod would come back and revitalize them. They are still a going no-where team. No wonder you focus on the jays and no your sad sack team.

8. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Lets hear you talk up the yanks instead of trash Toronto,(an easy target). Why don’t you? Oh yeah, it would all be in the past tense.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Yanks aint going anywhere this year, that’s no surprise to anyone with an IQ over 75 (not sure if you qualify) But they have lots of money coming off the books and I expect to see some big moves from them this winter. The jays on the other hand are a no future team, probably a lot like whoever you root for.

9. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I grew up in an era where the yanks were a laughing stock, and they are headed there again.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Just think even if you took the worst stretch in Yankee history where they won no WS it still doesn’t match the current streak by the jays or probably whoever you like. And believe me not every team I follow is a winner so I have been on both sides of this fence being a Bills fan

10. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I am sure when that happens you will change your name to dirty Larry and go on Yankee stories and mock them posing as a Jay fan. You just seem like the type.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM

And you can change your name to Buffalo Bob, that would be perfect for you

11. dondada10 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Am I the only old fart who had to look up what ICYMI means?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My guess was “in case you missed it”. It seemed like a good guess so I did not bother to look it up.

12. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Nope

13. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Just so you don’t have to look it up dirty Larry the yanks have won once in the past decade. One more than TO. Congrates. I imagine it will be one in 20 years a decade from now as the rest of baseball can spend with the yanks and you guys have a bunch of 35+ year olds making 20 million.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Why did they start playing baseball only 10 years ago? They been on one heck of a run since “94 and will have missed the playoffs only 2 times in that span being in “6″ WS and winning “4″ during that span alone. There are lots of teams out there who never even been to 4 WS in team history, nevermind winning 4 PERIOD. I can see the jealousy eats you alive, it should too

14. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

You may have to pretend to cheer for a different team soon, of course it won’t matter if the Jays win a few cause you don’t have the guts to post anything when they win. One winning streak in a lousy season made you crawl underneath a rock for 2 weeks without a word.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

on vacation junior, I do go on them at least once a year. Unlike you I am not chained to a computer sitting in a room with zero life. Its not hard to see why you don’t have one

15. thegonz13 - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

It’s a shame that very few people outside of the 416 area code have noticed it.

16. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Good to see I am getting under your skin. One World Series in 10 years. Whoopee!!’ If you are 80 years and want to live in the past that’s your issue. I still don’t see why a Yankee fan has such personal hatred for the jays. As for them making moves. Good luck with that. Maybe they will resign pettite again. Lol

17. buffalo65 - Aug 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Vacation…lol I am sure. No one believes that. You have nothing intelligent to say except spewing your junk when the jays are down. A winning streak muzzled you. Can’t wait for the jays to bounce back and muzzle dirty Larry for good.

18. umphrey37 - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Tino Martinez in 1997, not 2007

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3859)