Aug 24, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
Jose Fernandez furthered his Rookie of the Year case Saturday, hurling seven scoreless innings versus the Rockies to improve to 10-5 on the season.
Fernandez has overtaken Shelby Miller, Julio Teheran and Hyun-Jin Ryu over the last couple of months to head the rookie class of NL pitchers. It’s quite a group. Those four were among the 11 NL starters with sub-3.00 ERAs at the start of the day, and oddly enough, all four were slated to start today. Teheran and Ryu did see their ERAs jump over 3.00 in losses. Teheran’s Braves were defeated by Miller’s Cardinals.
Here’s how all four stand at the moment:
Fernandez: 10-5, 2.30 ERA in 152 2/3 IP
Miller: 12-8, 2.90 ERA in 139 2/3 IP
Teheran: 10-7, 3.08 ERA in 155 IP
Ryu: 12-5, 3.08 ERA in 160 2/3 IP
Fernandez has a chance to finish with one of the lowest ERAs ever for a 20-year-old hurler. Here are the low marks since 1901 (min 162 IP):
1.39 – Harry Krause (1909 Athletics)
1.53 – Dwight Gooden (1985 Mets)
1.65 – Walter Johnson (1908 Senators)
1.69 – Smokey Joe Wood (1910 Red Sox)
2.37 – Johnny Lush (1906 Athletics)
2.41 – Christy Mathewson (1901 Giants)
2.44 – Babe Ruth (1915 Red Sox)
2.48 – Fernando Valenzuela (1981 Dodgers)
The Marlins are cutting Fernandez off at 170 innings this year, so he’d seem to have three starts left at the most. That may hurt his chances in the competition with Yasiel Puig for Rookie of the Year honors.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
James Paxton will sit for a few days while his fingernail heals, then resume rehabbing with Triple-A Tacoma.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Corey Kluber will miss 10 days after tweaking his hamstring in a side session.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Brad Ausmus could soon be out of a job as the Tigers sink in the AL Central.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
Brown may be done for the year.
Sep 4, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
Any further concussion-related problems could force the former MVP into retirement
Sep 4, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Jay missed the past two months with a wrist injury.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Viva abuse of the forfeiture laws
Sep 4, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
The Matt Harvey controversy is a lot like the Stephen Strasburg shutdown of 2012. But Sandy Alderson is not going to do what Mike Rizzo did, someone close to him says.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Gloves? Who needs a glove?
Sep 4, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Adding a 30-homer bat to the lineup.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least one week.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
A good move by ESPN.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Teixeira suffered the injury on August 17.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
Just when you thought the Mets would enjoy a smooth, controversy-free final month of the regular season.
Sep 4, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
Headed for a quick divorce.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
Holy moly, these guys are awful.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:29 AM EDT
Carlos Gonzalez hit two homers for the second straight night.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:04 PM EDT
Bryce Harper didn’t have an official at-bat tonight, but he still made a major impact in the Nationals’ 15-1 blowout victory over the Braves.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Stroman threw 4 2/3 hitless innings in his first minor league rehab start.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias was forced to exit Thursday’s game against the Royals in the third inning when he was hit in the hand while trying to drop down a bunt.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)