Aug 24, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
The Pirates will be without a key piece for at least another 10 days after placing Starling Marte on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a hand contusion.
Andrew Lambo was recalled to replace him on the roster.
Marte was injured last Sunday when he was hit on the left hand by a pitch. He’d been available to pinch-run since, but the Pirates declined to use him in case the DL stint became necessary. Since he hadn’t made an appearance since the injury, he’ll be eligible to rejoin the team on Sept. 3.
The 24-year-old Marte has been the Pirates’ everyday left fielder and leadoff hitter this season. He’s hitting .282/.343/.443, and he’s third in the NL with 35 steals and tied for seventh with 79 runs scored.
Lambo is seeing his second stint in the majors after going 1-for-9 in four games earlier this month. He’s hit 32 homers in the minors this year, 18 of them coming in Triple-A. He’ll share time with Felix Pie in left until Marte returns.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)