Aug 24, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
It’s old news that right-hander Kyle Lohse was claimed on waivers and then pulled back without a trade, but it wasn’t known who tried to pluck him away from the Brewers. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal revealed today that it was the Braves who made the claim.
Lohse would have been pretty much the perfect replacement for Tim Hudson in Atlanta’s rotation, though the team didn’t have a big need there with a Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Kris Medlen, Paul Maholm (though injured at the time), Brandon Beachy and Alex Wood as rotation options. Now they do have greater concerns, what with Beachy set to visit Dr. James Andrews on Monday.
Rosenthal said the Brewers didn’t give much thought to trading Lohse when he was claimed, not when only one team could bid. He’s under control at $11 million per year through 2015, so he’ll bring back a couple of prospects this winter if the team decides to trade him then.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)