Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Aug 24, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT

Clint Barmes Getty Getty Images

With the Cardinals right on their heels, the Pirates continue to hang tough in the National League Central. They maintained a one-game lead in the division with a 3-1 win over the Giants last night in San Francisco.

Charlie Morton was the story of the night for Pittsburgh, as he allowed just one run over 7 2/3 innings for the victory. The only offense he needed was a three-run homer by Clint Barmes in the top of the seventh inning, which made a loser out of Madison Bumgarner. MVP hopeful Andrew McCutchen went 2-for-3 with a walk for Pittsburgh and is hitting .451 with a ridiculous .556 on-base percentage in August.

The Pirates now sit at 76-52 on the season. They need just six wins in their last 34 games to secure their first winning season since 1992.

Your Friday box scores:

Nationals 11, Royals 10

Blue Jays 4, Astros 12

Red Sox 0, Dodgers 2

Angels 2, Mariners 0

Cubs 6, Padres 8

1. theageofquarrel - Aug 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGAH!!!!!

2. Walk - Aug 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I agree, good luck buckos, if they have a winning season it has been a long time in the making.

3. Anoesis - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

A two-hit shutout for Ricky Nolasco (and Kenley Jansen). Ex-Red Sox Carl Crawford got on and ex-Red Sox prospect Hanley Ramirez homered for the Dodgers’ two runs. A tidy 2-hour, 7-minute win as the Bums move to a 10 1/2-game division lead, and continue their winning ways despite being taken to the cleaners by Boston in that horrible, awful trade.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Another horrible Red Sox effort. They’ll be in 3rd place in two weeks if this keeps up.

I’d hardly call it being “taken to the cleaners” at this point, considering where the Dodgers are currently at.

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

The Sox in third place in two weeks? How frequently do your predictions come true? I hope you’re right.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Quiet, you!

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I’m giggling my ass off. Heeheehee…

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Intriguing. Care to send a pic?

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Well, I didn’t literally giggle it off. It’s still attached.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Good to know…I’m getting a better of image in my mind of what exactly happened. :P

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I’m not laughing now. No offense from LAD today and the BoSox threatening to score again in the 8th.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Let’s go Yankees!!

Clap clap clap-clap-clap

Let’s go Yankees!!

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

“The Tampa Bay Rays: the only team in MLB that can turn Sox fans into temporary NYY fans.”

I consider that a HUGE compliment!

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Of course it was a compliment! The Rays are a great team…unfortunately.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

ABBOY!

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Thanks, Magic!

4. dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Harvey vs. Scherzer should be good tonight. Gary Cohen mentioned that it’s the first time ever that the ASG starters faced each other in the same year.

It’s really a re-match considering the ASG was at Citi.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I can’t wait!!!! Eeeeeeee!!!!!

• dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Harvey has a tendency to turn at-bats into pissing contests. I guarantee you he hits triple digits versus Miggy.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

That’s cool because Miggy’s bat speed was triple digits last night.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:18 PM

My brother got me a new away cap for my birthday, so I have that on today. Hopefully, I won’t need to turn it inside out the first time I wear it.

• dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Prediction: game goes into extras, 0-0. Shittiest pen loses from that point on.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Could be. Glad I have plenty of beer.

• dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

And I’ve got a big bag of flowers that Jesus left behind for me to smoke.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Go easy on the manger stuffing now.

• dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Seamless transition: Scherzer usually a high pitch count guy?

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Fairly so. He has improved on his walks this season but his SO’s — although he gets a number of them — are work.

• dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Well he’s good. 19-1 is nothing to sneeze at. How did you like Kevin Burkhardt on play by play? He’s usually the Met’s sideline reporter.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I couldn’t get the game here. I have to watch it late tonight on mlb.tv. Stupid blackouts.

• dondada10 - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Cruel world.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I know, right. I’ll be cheering at 10pm. Thanks, MLB & Fox. Who the eff in my market wanted to watch the BloSox and Dodgers instead?

5. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Jays fell to 15 games below .500 after getting pounded by the worst team in baseball 12-4!!! Jays pitching staff lead by Redmond and abe Lincoln gave up 15 hits in 8 innings and 12 runs, nice pitching staff and bullpen you got there Toronto!!

6. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Hey check it out, one of the bluejays is having a baby!!

The Blue Jays placed LHP Aaron Loup on the paternity list on Friday.

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

He could have saved himself the trouble and adopted you. That way, he’d get an Artificial Stupidity that remained juvenile forever.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

hemmroids flaring up again? they got stuff for that you know

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

They do. You don’t. Your preoccupation with excrement and matters anal is one of the three quintessential revelations of your innermost self contained in your irremediably lame rejoinder – the others being your inability to imagine any variations on your own single theme and your pathetic narcissism in always thumbing yourself up – because no one else – shall we say – gives a shit about you.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Wrong as usual, unlike you and pc I could care less about the thumbs up or down or if you sit on your own thumb. With that said, im the bad guy around here and I want thumbs down, I want to stir the pot cause that’s what I do and I do it damn good.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Regarding Harry’s anal fetish, on he old MSNBC discussion boards, one of the many monikers used by Harry was Doctor Bendover.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM

That’s correct PC I did use that name, very good im impressed you remembered. I am also the reason that message board doesn’t exist anymore. You see I am connected and I had it destroyed cause that’s what I do when I find something no longer useful.

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I like this “I am the bad guy” rationale for being a nobody, lacking any imagination, useful purpose and most of all, self-confidence. He’s a classic self-deceiver deeply in denial of his own insignificance, with an infantile preoccupation with excremental humor (and I used the latter term advisedly), and no real capacity to influence anything or anyone. His entire modus is to displace his inferiority complex in mock-self inflation the clumsiness and obviousness of which he is, unsurprisingly, not even aware. All humor aside, he needs therapy. He really does.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Being a nobody? And you can tell all of this thru a message board how exactly? Talk about delusional, Time to take your MEDS!!!

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

You try to stir the pot, but you’re terrible at it. You’re not smart or funny. If you were witty, maybe you could stir the pot. All you are is a scratched record, repeating the same thing over and over again. It’s quite dull and annoying.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

how am I terrible at it? I got you responding now don’t I?

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I was bored.

7. historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Apparently, last night’s game was attended by the world’s most interesting dog. Or, the Smoking Dog. Or, the weirdest Amway promotion ever — it’s murder getting tobacco stains out of a doggie jersey. I guess this is a normal thing there. I kinda feel like there’s a golden marketing opportunity there if someone does a commercial showing the dog going home at the end of the season with Brian Wilson. Or, Curt Schilling.

Anywhoooo…..viewers of the Tigers feed were treated to an additional pitching graphic for the game: the pitcher clock. Batters had PLENTY of time to dig their feet in last night. Sheesh. Torii went boom! A-Jax went boom! Miggy went big Boom! (and Crush Davis did not) Little Sexy Fire continues to have the best BA among rookies. I enjoyed the game thoroughly. The stolen bases thing didn’t really turn into much for the Mets, so that was a bunch of worry about nothing. V-Mart’s bat didn’t do much either though, so they might as well try Pena? He’s a switch hitter. V-Mart didn’t do any worse than P-Arnaud (as he shall now be known — seriously, Mets, buy some “d” iron-ons or something already), so I’d call that a solid evening.

Ace off at 4pm ET today!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Are you serious? Did the Mets miss-spell d’Arnaud?

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Speaking of serious did the jays really allow the Astros to score 12 runs last nite??? YIKES!!! The ship is SUNK!!

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

They don’t have any lowercase d’s so they just turned a P upside down on his jersey. Hence, P’Arnaud. lol

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Glad you find yourself amusing. My best guess is that the rest of us find you pathetic.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Harry is pathetic.

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Histy – obviously, that was aimed at our resident Artificial Stupidity, not at you.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I am sure that she realized that it was directed at the mouse.

8. Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Wellll, watching the Feesh go up against the Dodgers was kinda like watching the Polish cavalry go into action against the Panzers, but last night the Rainbow Warriors looked deflated from their latest wrong-end-of-the-sweep deflation against the Rocky Mountain Oysters. They looked like a bunch of discount grannies out there, based on as much of the rec hour at a nursing home masquerading as a ballgame as I could stand to watch. Chad Qualls trundled in from the boolpen to hand back a 2-1 lead and that was that.

Anyway, I had better things to do. The great Raiford Starke was playing his own birthday party at the world famous Luna Star Cafe in North Macondo, ably abetted by Jack “Magic Fingers” Shawde on second guitar, and even the lissome Brie put in a guest barista appearance before leaving for her year in graduate school in Prague next week. Lucky Prague. The place was as packed as the dumpster out front of a renovated Hollywood brothel and the guitarists were smoking like a couple of Yellowstone fumaroles. I had myself an indulgence, too – a Framboise lambic ice cream soda with Cherry Garcia just to get in the mood. Perhaps I may be forgiven by the baseball gods for ignoring most of the game.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM

This may sound like an odd question at first but its really not when you think about it. Do you even watch baseball? Im guessing you don’t and probably never have.

• ptfu - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM

This may sound like an odd question at first but it’s really not when you think about it. Do you even read the posts you’re theoretically responding to? I’m guessing you don’t and probably never have.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Actually I do and the next time gator writes about baseball that will be the first time I ever seen him do that. Oh he throws baseball terms into his little posts but so what? My grandma can do that too, I honestly don’t think he even watches it and he is lost and is trying to find the knitting section. So me being the good person that I am, well im trying to help the guy where as you are trying to be a wise guy. Its ok though I will always try to help a brother in need

• spudchukar - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Harry, if you ever see me in need, please don’t bother to help.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Now spudchukar that really hurts me to hear you say that, my friend I would be there for you anyday cause im good like that. Now you go have yourself a great weekend and remember……Harry loves ya

• Old Gator - Aug 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It’s not an odd question. It’s a stupid question.

• indaburg - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM

That’s pretty funny coming from you, harry, because I’ve never heard you talk in any analytical sense about baseball. You just troll Jays fans on a baseball blog for your own amusement. What a bizarre person you are to find something like that amusing. Kinda sad, really.

Well, I’ve wasted enough time on you today. I have some lint to pick out of my dryer.

• APBA Guy - Aug 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM

What do we need to do to have Harry banned? Seriously. He is worthless.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Yea ABBA guy have me banned for talking about a baseball team on a baseball board, that would make lots of sense, now go listen to dancing queen.

9. APBA Guy - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The A’s got into a slug-fest with the O’s. Guess who won? Slugging is NOT the A’s game.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM

But, thankfully, Crush wasn’t in on the party. …sorry

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Jones was in on the party, much to my delight. After Miggy, he was my second pick in my fantasy draft.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Jays pitching was throwing a party lastnite, 15 hits, 12 runs in 8 innings against the worst team in baseball? OMG!

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I declare, harry, you must’ve had a 5 hour energy drink already this morning. You’re spraying.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Harry is likely using the same magic cream as A-Rod and Braun.

10. proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Too bad about Kuroda and the 4 home runs he gave up last night. That was quite unusual. Good news for the Yankees as Jeter returns on Monday. I wonder when Jeter and Rivera will be enshrined in Monument Park? Of course, Jeter does look statuesque when he plays shortstop.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yea that’s why he has all those gold gloves, NExt!!!

• nbjays - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Pity he didn’t deserve them. “Pasta Diving Jeter” is probably in the dictionary by now.

11. uyf1950 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I have to say while I’m disappointed the Yankees lost last night, it didn’t come as a total surprise. Considering the run the Yankees had been on for 2 weeks a loss was inevitable. Anyway at least the Yankees didn’t lose any ground in the chase for a wild card spot. Still 3.5 games out and plenty of time left. Today hopefully CC will do the right thing and get a win.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It’s been a disappointing August for the Yankees’ ace and former Cy Young probable, one Mr. Hiroki Kuroda. CC against David Price – tough matchup, the first game was the one that looked good for the pinstripes. Now it looks like a sweep in the making – Nova v. Cobb is a tough one as well, but more winnable than tonight.

The Sawks continued their long death-spiral, at this rate the wildcards could be Oakland and a one-game playoff between the O’s and Indians. Wouldn’t that be some shit?

Two old men go at it this afternoon in L.A. – Peavy v. Capuano. Always been partial to both guys – Peavy for his bulldog approach and Capuano because he’s a local boy, grew up 1/2 hour northwards up the river valley of Unk. For once I’m hoping that Fox does the sensible thing and gives me Harvey v. Scherzer instead of my Sawks. I can always listen to Joe Castiglione while watching the aces on the TV.

For any kids who are still reading let me go back a step. There’s this thing called ‘radio’ which is not streamed on the internet but is broadcast over the airways.

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Thanks to the freaking blackout, I’m watching your game now and have to wait and watch mine tonight. Dammit!

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Both good games but I would have much rather seen Heterochromia-Harvey and listened to the Sawks. Can’t complain though – the boys took out the Dodgers for a chance to take the series. I’m liking the Peavy-Capuano matchup, tough year for Cap so far.

12. Stiller43 - Aug 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The pirates use an upside down P for his travis’ brother, chase as well. Only other option is to use a caps D

• nbjays - Aug 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM

How the hell do they not have any lower case “d” iron-ons? There’s a “d” at the end of his name, for God’s sake. SMH

• historiophiliac - Aug 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Exactly. It’s not like they can’t make “d’s.” Oh, well, it’s P’Arnaud instead then.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4005)