Aug 25, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
Sometimes, one can get caught up with all of the negative news that gets reported these days, so it’s good to find a piece like this every once in a while. Per this story by the Associated Press, on Saturday, eight-year-old Niko Lanzarotta and his family were watching the Indians take batting practice prior to last night’s game against the Twins. Niko, living with cerebral palsy, met with some players and asked catcher Carlos Santana and second baseman Jason Kipnis to hit home runs for him.
The two wasted very little time granting their fan his wish. Santana blasted a two-run home run off of Twins starter Liam Hendriks in the first inning and Kipnis hit a two-run shot in the third against Hendriks. Behind a solid start by Zach McAllister, the Indians went on to win 7-2.
From the AP column:
“They told me I was their favorite player, and I promised to hit a home run for him,” Santana said.
“He must be a good luck charm for us two,” said Kipnis, who broke an 0-for-19 slump earlier in the game and homered for the first time since July 21.
Niko’s father added, “It was the best day of his life. To meet Carlos, to be that close, and for him to hit a home run. … To see your kid that happy is a great thing.”
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 0
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)