Aug 25, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
Sometimes, one can get caught up with all of the negative news that gets reported these days, so it’s good to find a piece like this every once in a while. Per this story by the Associated Press, on Saturday, eight-year-old Niko Lanzarotta and his family were watching the Indians take batting practice prior to last night’s game against the Twins. Niko, living with cerebral palsy, met with some players and asked catcher Carlos Santana and second baseman Jason Kipnis to hit home runs for him.
The two wasted very little time granting their fan his wish. Santana blasted a two-run home run off of Twins starter Liam Hendriks in the first inning and Kipnis hit a two-run shot in the third against Hendriks. Behind a solid start by Zach McAllister, the Indians went on to win 7-2.
From the AP column:
“They told me I was their favorite player, and I promised to hit a home run for him,” Santana said.
“He must be a good luck charm for us two,” said Kipnis, who broke an 0-for-19 slump earlier in the game and homered for the first time since July 21.
Niko’s father added, “It was the best day of his life. To meet Carlos, to be that close, and for him to hit a home run. … To see your kid that happy is a great thing.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)