Aug 25, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Braves third baseman Chris Johnson tripped over Allen Craig‘s leg at the first base bag in Saturday night’s 6-2 loss to the Cardinals and has now been scratched from Atlanta’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium with what is being called turf toe. This according to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Johnson’s .331 batting average ranks second in the National League behind only Yadier Molina (.336) and the 28-year-old has also provided good power production with his 26 doubles, 10 home runs and 57 RBI in 112 games. Paul Janish will get the start at the hot corner in his place.
The Braves will be trying to avoid a four-game sweep on Sunday afternoon in St. Louis.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)