Aug 25, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Braves third baseman Chris Johnson tripped over Allen Craig‘s leg at the first base bag in Saturday night’s 6-2 loss to the Cardinals and has now been scratched from Atlanta’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium with what is being called turf toe. This according to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Johnson’s .331 batting average ranks second in the National League behind only Yadier Molina (.336) and the 28-year-old has also provided good power production with his 26 doubles, 10 home runs and 57 RBI in 112 games. Paul Janish will get the start at the hot corner in his place.
The Braves will be trying to avoid a four-game sweep on Sunday afternoon in St. Louis.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)