Aug 25, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Braves third baseman Chris Johnson tripped over Allen Craig‘s leg at the first base bag in Saturday night’s 6-2 loss to the Cardinals and has now been scratched from Atlanta’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium with what is being called turf toe. This according to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Johnson’s .331 batting average ranks second in the National League behind only Yadier Molina (.336) and the 28-year-old has also provided good power production with his 26 doubles, 10 home runs and 57 RBI in 112 games. Paul Janish will get the start at the hot corner in his place.
The Braves will be trying to avoid a four-game sweep on Sunday afternoon in St. Louis.
- The beauty of belief 7
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)