Aug 25, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
Braves third baseman Chris Johnson tripped over Allen Craig‘s leg at the first base bag in Saturday night’s 6-2 loss to the Cardinals and has now been scratched from Atlanta’s starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium with what is being called turf toe. This according to beat writer David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Johnson’s .331 batting average ranks second in the National League behind only Yadier Molina (.336) and the 28-year-old has also provided good power production with his 26 doubles, 10 home runs and 57 RBI in 112 games. Paul Janish will get the start at the hot corner in his place.
The Braves will be trying to avoid a four-game sweep on Sunday afternoon in St. Louis.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 20
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)