Aug 25, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Outfielder Denard Span has not had a great first year with the Washington Nationals. Acquired from the Twins in the off-season for pitching prospect Alex Meyer, the Nats expected Span to be a threat on the bases and provide some occasional power. Span, however, entered this afternoon’s game against the Royals hitting .264 with just two home runs and 11 stolen bases in 17 attempts.
Span’s mother texted her son last night with some sage hitting advice. Via Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:
Denard Span said his mom sent him a text last night telling him to swing at the first pitch more often. His homer today: first-pitch change.
— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) August 25, 2013
As the tweet notes, Span homered in the seventh inning today against Royals starter Ervin Santana. Span also swung at the first pitch from Santana in the top of the third inning and singled, and got another hit on the first pitch in the ninth against Royals closer Greg Holland. He finished the day 4-for-5, raising his batting average to .270 in the process.
You may recall that Mrs. Span had been in the news previously when Denard inadvertently hit her with a foul ball during a spring training game against the Yankees in 2010.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (93)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)