Aug 25, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
From Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post comes word that Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth is in the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Royals despite being diagnosed on Saturday with an infection in his right foot.
The exact type and extent of the infection is unclear, but Werth has likely been prescribed medication and he told Kilgore and other reporters on Sunday morning that he feels “good enough to play.”
The 34-year-old is batting .414/.512/.643 in 84 plate appearances this month for the Nationals, who are trying to fight their way into the National League Central-dominated National League Wild Card hunt.
Washington is currently 12 games back of Atlanta in the National League East.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)