Aug 25, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
From Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post comes word that Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth is in the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Royals despite being diagnosed on Saturday with an infection in his right foot.
The exact type and extent of the infection is unclear, but Werth has likely been prescribed medication and he told Kilgore and other reporters on Sunday morning that he feels “good enough to play.”
The 34-year-old is batting .414/.512/.643 in 84 plate appearances this month for the Nationals, who are trying to fight their way into the National League Central-dominated National League Wild Card hunt.
Washington is currently 12 games back of Atlanta in the National League East.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)