Aug 25, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
From Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post comes word that Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth is in the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Royals despite being diagnosed on Saturday with an infection in his right foot.
The exact type and extent of the infection is unclear, but Werth has likely been prescribed medication and he told Kilgore and other reporters on Sunday morning that he feels “good enough to play.”
The 34-year-old is batting .414/.512/.643 in 84 plate appearances this month for the Nationals, who are trying to fight their way into the National League Central-dominated National League Wild Card hunt.
Washington is currently 12 games back of Atlanta in the National League East.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)