Aug 25, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
From Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post comes word that Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth is in the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Royals despite being diagnosed on Saturday with an infection in his right foot.
The exact type and extent of the infection is unclear, but Werth has likely been prescribed medication and he told Kilgore and other reporters on Sunday morning that he feels “good enough to play.”
The 34-year-old is batting .414/.512/.643 in 84 plate appearances this month for the Nationals, who are trying to fight their way into the National League Central-dominated National League Wild Card hunt.
Washington is currently 12 games back of Atlanta in the National League East.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (76)