Aug 25, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune has the goods:
ST. PETERSBURG — Matt Moore (sore left elbow) threw a simulated game Saturday before the Tampa Bay Rays’ 4-2 win over the visiting New York Yankees and pronounced himself ready to rejoin the rotation later this week against the Angels.
Rays manager Joe Maddon watched that simulated game and agreed that Moore looked ready to go.
That would mean no minor league rehab start for the 24-year-old left-hander, who has been out since July 28 with left elbow discomfort. “I feel comfortable enough with where I’m at to think a bullpen is going to get me ready for a game in four days,” Moore told Mooney after his workout on Saturday.
Moore has a 3.41 ERA and 115 strikeouts in 121 1/3 innings this season.
The Rays are tied with the Red Sox in the American League East.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)