Miguel Cabrera homers again, inches closer to Triple Crown

Aug 25, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v New York Mets Getty Images

Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera homered again as he continues to inch closer to the AL home run lead, and subsequently another Triple Crown. The homer, a two-run shot off of Mets starter Dillon Gee in the first inning this afternoon, marked #42 on the season, leaving him four shy of Orioles first baseman Chris Davis, the current leader.

Cabrera leads Davis in runs batted in, 128 to 118 and has a sizable lead in batting average over Mike Trout, .360 to .328. Should Cabrera successfully pass Davis in home runs by the end of the season, he would become the third player to win multiple Triple Crowns, joining Rogers Hornsby (1922, ’25) and Ted Williams (1942, ’47). He would be the first to win two in consecutive seasons.

Behind a solid start by Rick Porcello, the Tigers brought a 4-3 lead into the top of the ninth inning before exploding for seven more runs against Mets relievers LaTroy Hawkins and Scott Atchison. With the win, the Tigers maintain their six-game lead over the Indians in the AL Central.

1. dondada10 - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

HR #42 was a absolute bomb.

• dondada10 - Aug 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

An.

• historiophiliac - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Gee, thanks.

• dondada10 - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM

You don’t have to thank Dillon Gee.

• historiophiliac - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I didn’t want to appear rude.

• dickclydesdale - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Cabrera has a great shot at 2 triple crowns in a row but he has zero recognition outside of MLB. If David Wright were to win a batting title he would have tons of endorsements. White America loves them honkey’s.

• Jeremy T - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

He’s had some other issues that might hurt his PR, but you’re probably right that race is the main thing. Is it only baseball players, or do other sports tend to have more sponserships for white players, too?

• Jeremy T - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Hmm the thumbs seem to disagree. Alright, well since I’m not from the area, I’m probably uninformed. Hopefully someone actually answers so I can see which part was incorrect.

• aiede - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It’s less racial than it is language, I’d assume. Miggy’s functional but not tremendously comfortable in English. It’s pretty common, it seems, for Latin players with limited English. I don’t think it’s racial as such, since an African-American player like Prince Fielder gets a lot of promo time.

I’d compare it to the NHL, where (white) Russian players get fewer endorsement deals than (white) Canadian or American players just because of the language barriers involved.

• Jeremy T - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense. Does Cabrera get endorsements on Spanish-speaking stations, then?

2. chill1184 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Go Miggy!

3. pappageorgio - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

But…..Trout’s WAR…..if you multiply Trout’s stolen bases by his fielding percentage and divide it by the measured angle of that square cranium and subtract his age…..then run that number through the decoder wheel I found at the bottom of a box of Captain Crunch when I was 8. You would come up with a number that proclaims him to be the best player in baseball.

Or……everyone could just open their eyes, watch, and enjoy the prime years of one of the greatest players to play the game. Go Miggy….go Tigers.

• Jeremy T - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Dude. Stop. Miggy’s great. Trout’s great. Trout does more things. Miggy hits like he might be Zeus in disguise. I’m not gonna say stop discussing and arguing because that’s part of what makes baseball great, but making up nonsense strawman arguments more than a full year after we started on this same old argument just makes you look like a fool.

• pappageorgio - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

You are obviously too young to remember the wonders of a Captain Crunch decoder wheel.

Those scientific calculators they give you kidskin school now will never give you the answers you seek.

• historiophiliac - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Honey, the proper response to an old man ranting is to offer him a fish sandwich or sherbet. Cantankerous man gonna cantanker. Life is too short to argue with old dogs.

• beelza - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM

It is sacasm Jeremy T. Whether you recognize it or not. And frankly, your post reads like someone who is a dick. I’m glad your holiness allows baseball talk to contnue in a forum that was speciically created for such.

• historiophiliac - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM

beelza, Jeremy doesn’t seem in the least bit like a dick (I’m assuming you are using that as a pejorative). He seems like a bright young man who understandably finds the snark tiresome rather than amusing. Also, it appears that you have a little tartar sauce on the corner of your mouth.

• Jeremy T - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Thanks, ‘philiac. I suppose that reads more confrontational than it has to be, but it really boggles my mind that someone feels the need to take a shot at Trout on every single article about Cabrera. Sorry if I sound like a dick, or holy, or however you took it. I don’t want to squash baseball talk in a baseball forum, far from it. I just prefer actual discussion to going round and round and round again. Saying random words that sound math-y to you feels more like a PFT commenter making a Rex Ryan foot joke than an actual meaningful comment.

But now I probably sound like even more of an uptight jerk. And I’m contributing to the exact same thing that I’m complaining about. I guess maybe we can have a rational discourse some other day…

• Jeremy T - Aug 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM

But you’re right, I am too young for a lot of things. Particularly, I am way too young to feel this tired of, and apparently bitter about, any one subject. The internet leads to some very odd phenomena.

• lazlosother - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I was going to rant but the fish sandwich got me. I’m not sure what I was going to rant about, but I’m old and I can’t guarantee consistency. Trout is great. Miggy is great. Fish sandwiches are out of this world. Just calling it like I see it. Sherbet isn’t so great, but I’ll take it in a pinch.

• beelza - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Ice cream man or Ben and Jerry’s?

• Mark - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I don’t know if you were trying to be funny or smart, but you ended up doing neither and looking petty and silly in the process.

Miguel Cabrera is fantastic. Trout is fantastic. There’s no need to bring Trout into this discussion.

• badintent - Aug 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Go coco puffs. ! Captain Crunch was the best.

4. thebadguyswon - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I saw 42 live. The ball just landed. In Albany.

5. jimeejohnson - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It really was a tape measure job: it cleared the second deck and went through a triangular window below the Mets restaurant. Cabrera is the best hitter in the game today, and if he wins consecutive triple crowns, he’ll be mentioned with the all-time greats. Best part of interleague baseball is when a team like the Tigers, who Mets fans would never see otherwise, come to Queens.

-Mets fan since 1967 after I sat behind a pole in the old Yankee Stadium.

6. snipedanglecelly13 - Aug 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Cabrera is just a beast, he’s unstoppable!

7. thevauntedchris - Aug 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

people are afraid of things they don’t understand. the funny thing is that stat minded people appreciate Cabrera’s greatness…at the plate. it seems the rbi and wins loving crowd doesn’t do the same for trout…at the plate, on the bases, in the field. see what I did there?

8. ebrownwareagle - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

@pappageorgio

THAT’S FUNNY!!

9. philliesblow - Aug 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

There was a man who swung a bat,
    And Miggy was his name-o.
    M-I-G-G-Y!
    M-I-G-G-Y!
    M-I-G-G-Y!
    And Miggy was his name-o!

10. spursareold - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I’ve been watching baseball since the 80s, and Cabrera’s swing is in the top 3, with Brett and Carew. His homeruns are almost incidental.

• cheliostwin - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I’ve been watching the Tigers on Fox Sports Detroit, and in most games they show a breakdown of Cabrera’s swings. In one stretch he hit 5 home runs in 7 games, all on pitches low and inside. Two of the pitches were almost a foot off the plate, inside, and Cabrera almost turned himself inside out swinging, but still blew them out of the park. So pitchers started pitching him high and away, and he just reaches out slaps those pitches hard. They show him hitting the ball to left, to center, to right, it looks like he is unstoppable.

11. aiede - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

The most underappreciated thing about Cabrera is how smart he is as a hitter. Any time you hear one of his teammates or an opposing player interviewed about him, it’s rarely his physical skills that get mentioned (other than “strong.”) They all talk about how he adjusts pitch to pitch, gets in pitchers’ heads and is able to sit on pitches that even the pitcher doesn’t know he’s likely to throw in that situation, how he physically adjusts his swing in different counts by eliminating his stride in two-strike situations, how he recognizes pitches ridiculously early, etc.

There’s a lot of strong hitters (Prince Fielder is a lot stronger in raw terms). There’s a lot of great contact hitters (Ichiro is the obvious topical example). There’s a lot of smart hitters (Tony Gwynn was always my favorite here). But Cabrera’s one of the best in history at putting them all together — for all the talk about his power, he’s about to win his third batting title in a row, by THIRTY POINTS at the moment.

I have an elementary school-aged son who’s a Tigers fan, and I’m trying very hard to get him to as many games as possible so that he can talk to his kids someday about this otherworldly player that he got to watch while growing up. Miggy’s just that special.

12. Eric Fay - Aug 28, 2013 at 3:45 AM

if only the Marlins could get a player like him…

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2992)