Aug 25, 2013, 9:38 AM EST
Roy Halladay was all set to make his third minor league rehab start at Double-A Reading, but the Phillies’ scheduled starter for Sunday’s series finale against the Diamondbacks had to pitch in relief in Saturday night’s 18-inning marathon loss so “Doc” is back in the bigs in a sudden change of course.
CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports that Halladay has been activated from the 60-day disabled list and will take the mound on Sunday afternoon versus Arizona in the place of Tyler Cloyd. Halladay went six innings in each of his two minor league rehab starts, so the Phillies don’t have to put him on a limited pitch count. But expectations should probably be low.
Halladay — who underwent shoulder surgery on May 16 and hasn’t pitched in the majors since — allowed 13 hits, six walks and five runs over 12 minor league innings while averaging around 87 mph on his fastball.
The 36-year-old righty had an 8.65 ERA in seven starts this season for Philly before hitting the shelf.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)