Aug 25, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
Reds left-hander Tony Cingrani made an early exit from his start Tuesday against the Diamondbacks with a lower back strain and hadn’t made enough progress by his next turn in the starting rotation so he has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
The disabling is retroactive to August 21, meaning Cingrani will be eligible for activation during the first week of September. Greg Reynolds was called up in a corresponding roster move to make a spot start Sunday’s series finale against the Brewers.
Cingrani has been a breakout star for the Reds this season, boasting a 2.76 ERA, 1.06 WHIP and 112/39 K/BB ratio in 97 2/3 innings.
Cincinnati is 2 1/2 games behind Pittsburgh and St. Louis in the National League Central.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)