Aug 25, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
It only seems right to use this space to update the situation in the National League Central — baseball’s tightest divisional race by far here in late 2013.
Shelby Miller allowed just three hits and one earned run over seven innings and Carlos Beltran slugged his 23rd home run of the season Saturday as the Cardinals won their third straight game 6-2 over the Braves. Out in San Francisco, the Pirates fell 6-3 to the Giants after a rare poor start from left-hander Francisco Liriano. That leaves us with a tie for first place between two 76-53 teams with a little over a month to go. And don’t sleep on the Reds either.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Diamondbacks 12, Phillies 7 (18 innings)
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 0
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40