Aug 25, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
It only seems right to use this space to update the situation in the National League Central — baseball’s tightest divisional race by far here in late 2013.
Shelby Miller allowed just three hits and one earned run over seven innings and Carlos Beltran slugged his 23rd home run of the season Saturday as the Cardinals won their third straight game 6-2 over the Braves. Out in San Francisco, the Pirates fell 6-3 to the Giants after a rare poor start from left-hander Francisco Liriano. That leaves us with a tie for first place between two 76-53 teams with a little over a month to go. And don’t sleep on the Reds either.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Diamondbacks 12, Phillies 7 (18 innings)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11