Aug 25, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Strange happenings in baseball, indeed. Mark Parent, currently in his second year as bench coach under manager Robin Ventura, was ejected by crew chief Jerry Layne while he was exchanging lineup cards prior to the start of this afternoon’s series finale with the Rangers.
Video showed Parent saying something to Layne, but it is not apparent exactly what was said.
The White Sox emerged victorious this afternoon nevertheless, defeating the Rangers 5-2. White Sox starter John Danks tossed six solid innings while his offense battered Rangers starter Matt Garza for five runs (four earned) over seven innings. Since making his debut with the Rangers on July 24, Garza has a 4.44 ERA.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)