And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Aug 26, 2013, 6:10 AM EDT

David Nied

Rockies 4, Marlins 3: The Rockies won this game but the Marlins took the 1993 Expansion Cup for this season, closing out the year with a 4-3 record against Colorado. What — you don’t keep track of the 1993 Expansion Cup? There’s a great ceremony at the end of the series each year in which either David Neid or Nigel Wilson hand the other a teal-and-purple loving cup while “Rump Shaker” by Wreckx-N-Effect in plays over the loudspeaker. It’s one of the most majestic events in sports each year. And you weren’t aware of it? For shame.

Giants 4, Pirates 0: What this season could have been if Ryan Vogelsong had pitched like he did last year. Of course last year was kind of a shocker, so I guess it was too much to ask. He was oh so good yesterday afternoon, however, throwing eight innings of shutout ball against the Pirates to earn the series split.

Blue Jays 2, Astros 1: Shut out for eight innings, the Jays rallied for both of their two runs in the ninth. That spoiled a nice day for Dallas Keuchel, who tossed seven shutout innings. It was a nice pick-me-up for Mark Buehrle, however, who allowed one run over eight and otherwise would have had a pretty damn tough luck loss.

Braves 5, Cardinals 2: The Bravos salvage one against the Cardinals, avoiding a four-game sweep behind a nice outing from Mike Minor. Finally a decent game for Jordan Schafer, who hit a double, a triple and drove in a run. In the three previous games filling in the leadoff spot for Jason Heyward Schafer had gone 0 for 12 with five strikeouts.

Royals 6, Nationals 4: The Royals finally pull out of the seven-game losing skid that basically cost them any hope at the playoffs. A key play in this game: Billy Butler chugging down the line to first base while Adam LaRoche chased a ball he had knocked down but which had eluded him. I reckon we haven’t seen two slower guys in a race on the same play since the 1950s.

Phillies 9, Diamondbacks 5: Not a bad day for Roy Halladay considering he has only had a couple of minor league rehab starts — neither of which were spectacular — and given that he was basically rushed into service after Ryne Sandberg had to empty his bullpen and then some during Saturday night’s marathon game. Halladay threw six innings of two-run ball. He struck only two and his fastball is a shadow of its former self. But as we said back in the spring: the rest of Halladay’s career appears to be contingent upon him learning to be a crafty, old, occasionally junkballing vet. If he can do that, we may have several years left of him. If not, we’re nearing the end.

White Sox 5, Rangers 2: Sox’ bench coach Mark Parent was ejected from the games while exchanging lineup cards which, OK, that had to be some conversation. I’m going to pretend he did it to rally the Pale Hose. If so, it worked,with  John Danks tossing six solid innings and the bats tuning up Matt Garza for five runs over seven.

Yankees 3, Rays 2: The Yankees always seem to have trouble down in St. Pete and this series was no exception. They salvaged one here, however, thanks to Curtis Granderson driving in Alfonso Soriano with a sacrifice fly in the 11th inning

Tigers 11, Mets 3: The sweep. Miguel Cabrera went 3 for 4 with a homer and a walk and finished the series 7 for 13 with two homers and five RBIs. He’s hitting .360 now and he’s not even remotely healthy. Just amazing.

Orioles 10, Athletics 3: A good weekend for Baltimore.  J.J. HardyNick Markakis and Nate McLouth homered and the O’s took two of three from Oakland. That moves them to within two games of the Athletics for the second wild card.

Brewers 3, Reds 1: Marco Estrada had his changeup working and he allowed one hit and no runs over seven innings. Caleb Gindl with a two-run homer for the winning margin.

Indians 3, Twins 1: Four errors for the Tribe and a load of base running mistakes but the Twins couldn’t really capitalize. Then Drew Stubbs hit a tiebreaking, two-out homer in the eighth.

Angels 7, Mariners 1: The M’s scored two runs in the entire three-game series. Not too damn inspiring for the folks in Seattle. Jered Weaver stymied them here yesterday, allowing one run on three hits in eight innings while striking out eight.

Padres 3, Cubs 2 : It was 0-0 until the 13th when both teams scored two and then the Pads finally won it on with an RBI single in the 15th. Those two runs a piece in the 13th were the product of some odd plays — wild pitches and baserunners being plunked on the head with thrown balls — all of which added up to five hours and thirteen minutes of weird baseball.

Red Sox 8, Dodgers 1: Jake Peavy was fantastic, tossing a complete game on three hits. Mike Napoli drove in three. The Dodgers dropped their first series since mid-June.

1. uyf1950 - Aug 26, 2013 at 6:28 AM

The Yankees avoided what could have been a disastrous loss yesterday to the Rays by taking the final game of their 3 game set at the Trop. In winning that game they remained 3.5 games back of the 2nd wild card right where they started the weekend. Still over 30 games left still 18 of those against the teams immediately ahead of them: Boston/Rays/Orioles and what I’m hoping is a pleasant 6 games versus the Jays. There of those starting tonight. We’ll see how these last 5 weeks shake out but to quote one of my favorite Yankees Yogi Berra “It ain’t over till it’s over”.

BTW, prior to the last 12 games of the month for the Yankees I had hoped they would go 8-4 as it stands now they are 5-2 with 5 games left. An 8-4 record to close out the last 12 games of the month is definitely doable.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM

The old pinstriped lions have been slowly getting dental work throughout the season and their fangs have rounded into rending shape at long last.

The late game defense of Granderson was absolutely key to that victory, they really missed him this year.

Also it was an unusual pleasure to listen to the YES Network booth yesterday, no M. Kay and the booth consisted of Ken Singleton, Lou Pinella and David Cone. You could swap in Paul O’Neill for Coney and still have some fun but that’s about as good a crew as they can get.

It’s an open question in my mind as to who is more thoroughly obnoxious – M. Kay or J. Sterling. But having had the misfortune to hear his verbal gyrations the other day after a Granderson homerun, I still have to go with Sterling. My God he’s bad.

• Liam - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:46 AM

They had those three in the booth all series, they worked really well together. I’d have preferred swapping out Cone for O’Neill though. As well prepared as Cone is, no one has more fun announcing a game than Paul, and he and Pinella bounce off each other brilliantly.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Agreed – can’t go wrong with either guy though. The real key is the absence of Kay’s presence.

• Kevin S. - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

It’s not just Kay’s absence, Singleton has the perfect low-key demeanor for a PBP guy. For me, Cone’s the best lead color analyst the Yankees have, and the best part of their broadcasts. O’Neill’s good too, but I’m always disappointed when Cone’s not there. Loved him calling out Kay on pitching to the score last week.

2. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM

The Feesh pulled off one of their specialties – loading the bases with no outs and not scoring – and continued to play terrible defense in giftwrapping yet another game on this abysmal homestand. Two errors – a wild throw by Jacob Turner and another bad throw by Donovan Solano – helped the Rocky Mountain Oysters to a 3-0 lead in the second which the Feesh tied up in the fourth before deciding that that was enough work for one day.Once again, Turner peetched well enough to win but the defense subverted him. Most disturbing on this homestand was a rash of errors by Hechavarria, whose fielding had been one of the brighter pinpricks of light in the foul Feesh firmament this lost planet season. These guys have been playing like they can smell October and can’t wait to get their golf clubs out of the closet.

Tomorrow they face the Gnats in DC while, as backdrop, Obama squirms and wiggles and looks for any excuse to delay getting our collective foot stuck in that bucket of shit called Syria. He would do well to take a page from Bud Light’s Oakland playbook and announce the urgent formation of a blue ribbon panel to study the problem. Then, in three or four years, he can announce that something really needs to be done about it.

• uyf1950 - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Good God Almighty, what has gotten into this site, 20 thumbs down as I type this and only 2 posters posting. And I didn’t give either a thumbs up OR down. I realize it doesn’t mean much those thumbs down but that’s ridiculous.

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM

It’s just the thumb harpy again. As long as Craig wants to sit on his thumbs and perpetuate these mindless thumb symbols, he can preside over the continuing decline of this site from a place where we used to be able to have an intelligent (if often contentious), usually literate discussions to a troll farm overrun by the likes of harry, guy and other assorted and various decerebrates and anencephalics.

Then again, it’s also possible that if he removed these idiotic thumbs, the morons who think we think they’re clever because they can manipulate multiple accounts and pack the score might be tempted actually to post more often – and that wouldn’t boost the mien IQ around here either, Maybe we’re better off to leave it this way.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Thumbs – stick with the thumbs. Imagine if some of those trogolodytes figure out that they have up to 8 more fingers and start wondering what the strangely-shaped keys under the numbers mean.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Reading uncle’s comment, I heard the 2001 theme and watched a murderous bone tranform into a space station. There’s a new monument in Monument Park. What hath God wrought!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:19 AM

The people who seem to get the most thumbs down are Jays fans, Old Gator and Red Sox fans. Yankee fans tend to be immune. A common link between those of us who are so blessed is Yankee fan dirtyharry1971. Harry, on the other hand, has sometimes denied that he uses the thumbs down function.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:51 AM

@dcarroll – Funny you should mention that. Here’s my plan to get rid of the sociopaths and thumb harpies – I made one of these pointy bone-thingies for everyone. We’re going to fan out and take back that waterhole!

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I have sometimes denied? I said it a hundred times I will say it again, unlike you PC and a few others on here I could care less about the thumb function. Talk about a childish thing anyway, I didn’t come here to be Mr popular like gator did that much I can tell you

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM

And, Poor Dim One Note Harry, you have been hugely successful at that – you are widely considered the biggest asshole on the blog, in addition to being a pathological liar about both your thumbing-up of your own posts and your manipulation of the thumbs on others.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I take exception to that, PC. I often get the most thumbs. The Queen!

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Well gator I do appreciate the compliment as I am the biggest ahole on here and that was my goal since day 1. I want to first thank everyone who made this possible and who helped me realize my dream, you know who you are. But the other part you wrote is totally not true, I don’t lie and the thumb game is for little crying girls such as yourself and PC

• indaburg - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

It’s not Craig’s doing. You think Craig likes this functionality any more than we do? He’s at the mercy of his corporate overlords.

Ignore the thumbs. They’re stupid.

• indaburg - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Puh-leeze, ‘philiac! I challenge you for that crown.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

What Indy said. Write what you think. The thumbs are a complete waste of time.

It’s all absurd, anyway, Indy. Am I right? We are victims of chance.

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Sorry, Poor Dim One Note Harry. We’ve all seen your thumbs pile up within seconds on your posts and pile up on others as soon as you show up on a thread like the erupting pustule that you are. Why bother lying? If it’s your dream to be the championship rectum here, being known as a pathological liar would only enhance your lack of stature – as, in fact, it does.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Burgie, it’s on like Donkey Kong!

• Jeremy T - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

When it’s so obviously targeted at particular users like this, they do seem kind of useless. Both Gator’s post here and unclemosesgreen’s above seem fairly harmless (not to equate the two users, since they usually seem to be on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum). There are certain times when the thumbs can be kind of fascinating, though.

• indaburg - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Cage match! Mud!

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Whatever. I have a personal pretender troll, so I obviously win. Plus, it’s not a fair fight cuz I have a strong height advantage. ;)

• nbjays - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

So this particular thread has gone from complaints about dirtyharry’s thumb-fairy alter-ego to the planning of a potential mud wrestling cage match between ‘Burgie and Historio.

Am I the only one who sees this as a vast improvement?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Anyone can load the bases with no outs and score – s’what’s expected. It takes a special kind of teamwide genius to fail to plate a run in that circumstance.

3. paperlions - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Well, if the Cardinals are going to win the division, they are going to do to have to earn it. They are 4 games into a 17 game stretch that goes: vs Braves (4), vs Cinci (3), @ Pit (3), @ Cinci (4), vs Pit (3).

Pittsburgh and Cinci also have 6 game remaining with each other….so whoever wins the NL Central is going to have to do it the hard way…..should be fun.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I gave you a thumbs up in honor of your descriptive term “thumbs down fairy”.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

You cant seem to get that thumbs thing off your mind pc, its like its the most important thing in the world to you, so sad.

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

And Poor Dim One Note Harry lies on and on and on…always the same lie, of coure – and you are far and away the saddest excuse for a correspondent on here yourself.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM

you know gator when I get to your age if all I worry about is someone else’s approval I hope to god they take me out in the back and shoot me on the spot. Id rather be dead then act like a little sissy and worry about such nonsense

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Now there is a day we can all look forward to.

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

So, considering what little drivel you do worry about so tediously, that would be the straw that broke the cockroach’s back, eh?

4. natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Yeah, the foot race was funny but wouldn’t have been necessary if Stammen had covered first base as LaRoche obviously expected he would. Stammen walks the next guy, then he gets a grounder to short and Ryan Zimmerman doesn’t cover his base. Yada yada long road trip, hot day, c’mon guys, fundamentals!

I don’t want to say the Nats gave it to the Royals, because Ned Yost gave it to the Nats first by leaving Santana in too long. Let’s just say the Nats gave it back to the Royals.

• natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

LOL, hit refresh and had 17 thumbs down. Do I get the prize?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM

22 the last time I checked. I did contribute the thumbs up.

• natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:54 AM

proudly–hope that was based on the quality of my comment and not just on thumb-pity!

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM

It was based on the balanced fairness of your comment.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM

• natslady - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM

41 and counting. Don’t think I can catch Old Gator, though. He’s at over 100. C’mon, thumb-dumb, step up your game!

5. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Well the jays avoided the sweep at the hands of the worst team in the AL and now they get to play the Yanks at home and they are 1-12 against this season. Im going to go on record and say the jays win tonight, I mean eventually they have to win a couple in this series…..don’t they?

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Our resident artificial stupidity still can’t punctuate and capitalize properly. Just out of curiosity, what grade in that special ed junior high school did you attain before you flunked out completely?

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM

it was 4th grade special ed, that was the last grade I completed cause 5th grade was way way too rough for me. You see gator I will let you worry about the thumbs up your a$$ and punctuation and I will comment on baseball, how’s that sound? Cause the two things you worry about I could care less about, I came here to talk some baseball, not worry about thumbs and grammar

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I’m impressed that you made it that far. You really think anyone is buying into your imbecile comments about my being worried about the thumbs when they all know you’re one of the harpies yourself? Poor Dim One Note Harry, there are times when the depths of your incomprehension amazes even me.

6. historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Hey, how ’bout that 9th inning? I was hoping for a run or two for insurance. I got SEVEN! What in the pluperfect hell? The Tigers playing small ball??? I LOVE IT!!!!!! You get a hit. You get a hit. Everybody gets a hit. Wheee!!!!! Oh, and Miggy go boom.

Other game highlights: Rod Allen thinks Ms. Met is fine, and neither Mario or Rod fish because worms are gross. paper, you would have to bait their hooks for them. In all fairness, my uncles go to Canada to fish. I don’t think there’s much good fishing around the D.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Latest on the HOT SEAT rumor mill

The only teams worse than Toronto in all of baseball this season: Houston, Miami, both Chicago teams and Milwaukee. Considering how Anthopoulos pillaged his farm system this offseason, the return has been desperately awful. Beyond Jose Reyes, the main pieces Toronto acquired – Mark Buehrle, R.A. Dickey and Josh Johnson – have had seasons ranging from meh to blurgh. Blue Jays starting pitchers have a 5.10 ERA on the season. It is something straight out of the steroid era and more than a run higher than the major league average.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Sounds like a guy who is sooo desperate to say something positive about what has become known as the 2013 Toronto bluejays train wreck

“Realistically, we have been in so many games on this road trip—all of them except the last two games here where we came up short—so that is eating at you. Then, of course, it is a losing streak, so winning the last one here always feels good. It doesn’t make things any better where we are at right now, but it was something we needed.”
    —Manager John Gibbons, after the Blue Jays pulled out a 2-1 victory in the ninth inning over the Astros Sunday.

9. skeleteeth - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Rob Ford’s revenge crackout.

10. lewp - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

To Dirty Harry AND Old Gator,

Can you guys go get a pair of boxing gloves and carry your disagreement somewhere else? I would kinda like to talk about baseball here. Maybeya’ll need to get a room and demonstrate your love for each other there. It’s getting pretty old. Not sure if I will think about the most powerful hand gun in history or maybe feesh in the same way ever again, but please, for the love of God, get over your trivial bickering.

• APBA Guy - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

You’re in the wrong place if you want comments limited strictly to baseball. That’s never been Craig’s thing, since way back before he could afford a good bathrobe and heat in the basement (ie Shysterball).

Besides, how you come down on the Harry/Gator question says a lot about who you are and what you stand for: stupidity or erudition.

My personal position is Harry should be banned.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Welcome to the den.

• skeleteeth - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I don’t know why people just can’t ignore it.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

awww abba boy is trying to get me banned again for talking about baseball, go listen to some more dancing queen and cry me a river

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I will tell you what lewp, I will be the bigger man here and I will no longer response to gator anymore on here and you will see I am a man of my word. However you won’t get gator to stop cause he has some kind of sick attraction to me. But you got my word, I will not respond back

11. APBA Guy - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

The A’s have now lost 3 series in a row heading into Detroit and the coming war of words with Historio. Personally, I’m looking forward to her slobbering and drooling over Miggy facing homeruns-allowed leader AJ Griffin. I’m predicting some epic mileage on the Cabrera bombs.

Yesterday was another good example of what’s ailed the A’s since the ASG. Sonny Gray, he of the Rich Harden comparisons, started in front of friends and family and immediately was introduced into the reality of the AL East: 4 pitches, 3 baserunners. Not only do the Orioles have scouts, the players listen to and remember what the scouting reports say. It doesn’t help when you miss your catcher’s spots by 18 inches pitch after pitch.

To add to the A’s woes, the A’s offense has been anemic, not helped by a day of unscheduled rest for Home Run Derby champ Yoenis Cespedes, suffering a sophomore slump of classical proportions. His .716 OPS is almost identical to Josh Hamilton (.715) but the two players appear to be headed in different directions.

Basically, though, the A’s running out of gas has the same statistical root as the O’s dismal 2013 record in one run games: regression. Last year the O’s were spectacular in 1 -run games, 29-9. This year they are the opposite at 14-23.

This year the A’s are actually slightly ahead of their 2012 position, being only 2.5 games back as compared to 5.5 back on this date in 2012. The difference is how they are playing, with this current unit clearly slumping, whereas last year the team was catching fire. Melvin’s tried tongue lashing the team, but what they really need is for the G & P Beane to have added an outfield bat and a quality defender at short. And Bartolo needs to come back and pitch effectively. That none of that may actually happen with 5 weeks to go is weighing heavily on the A’s faithful with the next 3 series against Detroit, Tampa , and Texas coming up. The fear is that the A’s are regressing to their true talent level, and all the enthusiasm and chemistry (and luck) that carried them last year has been burned up and replaced by fatigue and rookies who maybe aren’t as good as we hoped.

12. jimeejohnson - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Harry’s a putz and the biggest loser piece of crap on MSNBC’s blogs. His posts are invisible like his brain. He’s the perfect example of a New Yawk asshole and punk. You all know one day he is going to get his ass kicked for being such an arrogant scumbag.

• theskinsman - Aug 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Meanwhile, the best team in the AL East won a series against the Dodgers…in L.A. Well done!

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

When you are 6 foot 5 and 265lbs lets just say nobody is challenging me junior, all I gotta do is look at em and when you are a little guy like yourself…well I can only imagine how many trash cans and dumpsters you got shoved into over the year.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug