Aug 26, 2013, 6:22 PM EST
Bartolo Colon landed on the disabled list earlier this month with a right groin strain, but the second-place Athletics hope to get the All-Star right-hander back as soon as he’s eligible this week.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Colon threw 38 pitches in a bullpen session this afternoon without incident. If all goes according to plan, the 40-year-old will return to face the Tigers on Thursday. Slusser speculates that Jesse Chavez could be an alternative if Colon can’t go, as the Athletics have already ruled out Brett Anderson as an option.
Colon was knocked around for five runs in back-to-back starts prior to going on the disabled list, but he still owns a fine 2.97 ERA over 154 1/3 innings this season. His 1.46 BB/9 is fifth-lowest among qualified starters.
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 94
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)