Aug 26, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
Bartolo Colon landed on the disabled list earlier this month with a right groin strain, but the second-place Athletics hope to get the All-Star right-hander back as soon as he’s eligible this week.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Colon threw 38 pitches in a bullpen session this afternoon without incident. If all goes according to plan, the 40-year-old will return to face the Tigers on Thursday. Slusser speculates that Jesse Chavez could be an alternative if Colon can’t go, as the Athletics have already ruled out Brett Anderson as an option.
Colon was knocked around for five runs in back-to-back starts prior to going on the disabled list, but he still owns a fine 2.97 ERA over 154 1/3 innings this season. His 1.46 BB/9 is fifth-lowest among qualified starters.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)