Aug 26, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
ESPN The Magazine conducted a survey of a handful of MLB players and asked their attitudes about A-Rod, his suspension and the whole drama with Ryan Dempster plunking him last week. You may be surprised at the results.
Go read the specific questions asked, the breakdown and some select quotes from the anonymous respondents, but the upshot is that way more players think less of Dempster than A-Rod, the vast majority have no issue with him playing pending his appeal and recognize his right to do so as a matter of collective bargaining. A much larger number than you might think thinks Bud Selig is out of line in giving A-Rod a 211-game suspension.
Is it scientific? Nope. But I think it’s more reflective of player views than any given column in which the columnist — who already believes A-Rod is History’s Greatest Monster — finds a player or two who will go on record echoing those sentiments.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 13
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 77
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)