Aug 26, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Rockies shut down Carlos Gonzalez earlier this month due to continued issues with a sprained middle finger on his right hand, but he is beginning to make some progress.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Gonzalez tested the finger earlier today by taking 30 swings in the cage. He plans to hit on the field tomorrow and could go out on a minor league rehab assignment soon if he continues to make progress. This would set him up for a potential return in September, giving him some peace of mind going into the offseason.
Gonzalez is batting .302/.367/.591 with 26 home runs, 70 RBI, and 21 stolen bases in 103 games this season. He leads the National League with a .958 OPS.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)