Aug 26, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Rockies shut down Carlos Gonzalez earlier this month due to continued issues with a sprained middle finger on his right hand, but he is beginning to make some progress.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Gonzalez tested the finger earlier today by taking 30 swings in the cage. He plans to hit on the field tomorrow and could go out on a minor league rehab assignment soon if he continues to make progress. This would set him up for a potential return in September, giving him some peace of mind going into the offseason.
Gonzalez is batting .302/.367/.591 with 26 home runs, 70 RBI, and 21 stolen bases in 103 games this season. He leads the National League with a .958 OPS.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)