Aug 26, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The Rockies shut down Carlos Gonzalez earlier this month due to continued issues with a sprained middle finger on his right hand, but he is beginning to make some progress.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Gonzalez tested the finger earlier today by taking 30 swings in the cage. He plans to hit on the field tomorrow and could go out on a minor league rehab assignment soon if he continues to make progress. This would set him up for a potential return in September, giving him some peace of mind going into the offseason.
Gonzalez is batting .302/.367/.591 with 26 home runs, 70 RBI, and 21 stolen bases in 103 games this season. He leads the National League with a .958 OPS.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (141)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)