Daniel Bard set for game action after three months off

Aug 26, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Daniel Bard Reuters Reuters

Daniel Bard hasn’t pitched in three months after being shut down with an abdominal strain that coincided with another bout of extreme wildness at Double-A.

However, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com Bard has been rehabbing at the Red Sox’s spring training complex in Florida and is expected to see some game action before the minor-league season ends in a couple weeks.

Even if that happens it’ll be another lost season for Bard, who appeared in just two games for the Red Sox and posted a 6.39 ERA with 17 walks in 13 innings at Double-A. Once a dominant setup man, he hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2011 and will be 29 years old next season.

1. flamethrower101 - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

First thing I thought of when I came across this story was “Who?”

Seriously, what a downward spiral for this kid. He went from a dominant reliever with loads of potential to completely failed starter to now failed reliever. I don’t know what the hell has happened to him. Auditioning him as a starter clearly failed for the Red Sox but I sincerely doubt something as simple as that could have caused this complete catastrophe.

2. danindelray - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

He’s always had issues with his delivery – when originally drafted, the Red Sox tried to force him to change his delivery and he only started to excel when he was allowed to go back to what had made him so dominant in college.

And if you recall, even when he had success in the majors he’d go through periods where he’d lose his delivery and give up hits by the barrel-full. Usually he knew what he was doing wrong and corrected it but now he’s just lost any grasp of what made him so good, and its really quite sad, he went from potential Papelbon replacement to Double A flameout and shut down for a mystery injury.

3. stevenewatson - Aug 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I met Daniel Bard late in the 2011 season, his last great one. I even jokingly introduced him to my kids as the next closer for the Boston Red Sox. He signed some pictures, was really nice, and had a short chat with me about baseball statistics and evaluating the success of relief pitchers. I’ll always remember him fondly, even if he over time becomes a symbol of things lost.

4. Jack Marshall - Aug 26, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Bard’s problems started at during the last third of 2011, and was no small factor in the team’s collapse—Francona kept trotting him out there, saying that he couldn’t win without his key bullpen piece, apparently ignoring the fact that the piece just didn’t fit any more. I always thought that Bard’s insistance on starting in 2012 was triggered out of fear of becoming the closer after Papelbon left, which was pretty much a foregone conclusion throughout 2011.

It is amazing to me that the Red Sox haven’t traded Bard for a ham sandwich or a bag of bolts already . He has some strain of the Steve Blass disease, and they seldom come back from that. It’s a very sad story….especially since the Sox could really use a set-up man right now.

5. chiefwhirlingdervish10 - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM

It was the Aceves..! Those eyes…

6. edelmanfanclub - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:29 PM

7. edelmanfanclub - Aug 26, 2013 at 10:35 PM

In all seriousness, once an elite reliever. But just came undone when they moved him into a SP role. Funny thing is he came up as SP, but became lights out when he was a reliever, yet he was the one who wanted to be a starter. I always felt like there were multiple starts where Bobby V left him in for another inning when he should have gone to the pen. And it stinks mentally for a pitcher when you have several starts where you go 5 6 innings and allow 0 1 or 2 runs, then in the next inning youll give up 2 or 3 runs and get pulled, and the game flies open. It’s all psychological with Bard, he still has the stuff but he’s been shaken from that 2012 campaign (I’ll never forget his last start vs TOR with all the WP, BB, and HBP). I wish him the best of luck because in his prime he was NASTY setting up Papelbon. I would have never believed you in 2011, if you told me in 2013 Bard was in danger of being outrighted off the 40 man roster.

btw that last start in TOR: 1.2 IP, 5 ER, 1 H, 6 BB, 2 HBP, 2 K

I hope he puts it together.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3502)