Aug 26, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
This is several days old but I had missed it until I saw Jeff Passan mention it in his latest column. The original report is from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. It shockingly involves Jeff Loria being a petty jerk.
Recall that Tino Martinez resigned as the Marlins hitting coach last month following accusations by some players that he was verbally and physically abusive. Spencer reports that this sat poorly with Loria, who personally hired Martinez. Flash forward to last week when Placido Polanco went to the disabled list. The Marlins front office and coaching staff were unanimous in wanting the team to call up infielder Chris Valaika — who had been hitting like crazy in New Orleans — to to replace Polanco.
Except Valaika was one of the players who had complained about Martinez’s behavior. So, out of spite, Loria personally overruled his baseball people and ordered Gil Velazquez to be called up.
Passan’s column notes that it’s possible that Loria may force out team presidents David Samson and Larry Beinfest. Who, when they’re not being forced to be Loria’s lapdogs are actually pretty good at assembling baseball talent. His team, his prerogative.
But why anyone would choose to work for that guy and how anyone can root for that team while he still owns it is an utter mystery to me.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 8
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 6
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (82)