Aug 26, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
This is several days old but I had missed it until I saw Jeff Passan mention it in his latest column. The original report is from Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. It shockingly involves Jeff Loria being a petty jerk.
Recall that Tino Martinez resigned as the Marlins hitting coach last month following accusations by some players that he was verbally and physically abusive. Spencer reports that this sat poorly with Loria, who personally hired Martinez. Flash forward to last week when Placido Polanco went to the disabled list. The Marlins front office and coaching staff were unanimous in wanting the team to call up infielder Chris Valaika — who had been hitting like crazy in New Orleans — to to replace Polanco.
Except Valaika was one of the players who had complained about Martinez’s behavior. So, out of spite, Loria personally overruled his baseball people and ordered Gil Velazquez to be called up.
Passan’s column notes that it’s possible that Loria may force out team presidents David Samson and Larry Beinfest. Who, when they’re not being forced to be Loria’s lapdogs are actually pretty good at assembling baseball talent. His team, his prerogative.
But why anyone would choose to work for that guy and how anyone can root for that team while he still owns it is an utter mystery to me.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)