Aug 26, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
While this won’t have the wide-ranging ramifications of Matt Harvey‘s partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Jeremy Hefner will undergo Tommy John surgery.
Hefner was diagnosed with a partially-torn medial collateral ligament in his elbow earlier this month. Tommy John surgery was discussed as a possibility at the time, but he was waiting to see Dr. James Andrews before deciding on a course of action. However, it’s now clear that he’ll be sidelined for most or all of the 2014 season, further challenging the team’s pitching depth.
Hefner did a respectable job in the Mets’ rotation this season, posting a 4.34 ERA and 99/37 K/BB ratio over 130 2/3 innings.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)