Aug 26, 2013, 9:18 PM EST
While this won’t have the wide-ranging ramifications of Matt Harvey‘s partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Jeremy Hefner will undergo Tommy John surgery.
Hefner was diagnosed with a partially-torn medial collateral ligament in his elbow earlier this month. Tommy John surgery was discussed as a possibility at the time, but he was waiting to see Dr. James Andrews before deciding on a course of action. However, it’s now clear that he’ll be sidelined for most or all of the 2014 season, further challenging the team’s pitching depth.
Hefner did a respectable job in the Mets’ rotation this season, posting a 4.34 ERA and 99/37 K/BB ratio over 130 2/3 innings.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)