Aug 26, 2013, 9:18 PM EST
While this won’t have the wide-ranging ramifications of Matt Harvey‘s partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that Jeremy Hefner will undergo Tommy John surgery.
Hefner was diagnosed with a partially-torn medial collateral ligament in his elbow earlier this month. Tommy John surgery was discussed as a possibility at the time, but he was waiting to see Dr. James Andrews before deciding on a course of action. However, it’s now clear that he’ll be sidelined for most or all of the 2014 season, further challenging the team’s pitching depth.
Hefner did a respectable job in the Mets’ rotation this season, posting a 4.34 ERA and 99/37 K/BB ratio over 130 2/3 innings.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 66
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)