Aug 26, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Two months ago Josh Beckett underwent season-ending surgery to remove a rib that was putting pressure on a nerve and causing numbness in his hand. And now he’s ready to start throwing again.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Beckett is scheduled to begin a throwing program Wednesday and Beckett is very pleased with how his recovery has gone so far, saying: “I don’t think anyone was expecting for me to be where I’m at right now.”
Beckett told Hernandez that he’s hoping to do enough throwing to head into the offseason without any limitations, potentially setting him up to be ready for a full spring training. He’s under contract for $15.75 million next season in the final year of a four-year, $68 million contract, but at this point the Dodgers would probably view any contribution they get from Beckett as a bonus.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 10
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)