Aug 26, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
In previewing the Indians during spring training I wrote about how Terry Francona’s previous teams rarely did much running and suggested that “it’ll be interesting to see if the manager adapts to the skill sets he has on hand” in Cleveland.
Michael Bourn was a big part of that, signing with the Indians after stealing an average of 51 bases per season from 2008-2012. This year, however, Bourn has swiped just 19 bases in 101 games while being caught a league-high 10 times and the Indians as a whole rank sixth in the American League in steals despite having plenty of high-steal players on the roster.
I have no idea how much of that stems from Francona’s general mindset regarding stolen bases, but Bourn’s sudden inability to add value as a runner is pretty interesting in the first year of a four-year, $48 million contract. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer asked Francona about why Bourn isn’t running as much or as effectively, and “in Francona’s opinion pitchers are just paying more attention to Bourn in particular and the running game overall.”
I’m fairly certain that pitchers always paid a lot of attention to Bourn while he was stealing 50-plus bases per season, so that probably qualifies as a non-answer answer.
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 0
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 40
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 9
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 14
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)