Aug 26, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
The Padres have rewarded prospect outfielder Reymond Fuentes with his first call up to the majors. He’s making the start in center field tonight against the Diamondbacks.
Fuentes, the cousin of Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, was a first-round pick of the Red Sox back in 2009 and eventually found himself shipped to the Padres in the Adrian Gonzalez trade. After struggling to the tune of a .218/.301/.302 batting line last season, the 22-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2013 by batting .330/.413/.448 with six home runs, 43 RBI and 35 stolen bases in 107 games between Double- and Triple-A. He batted .418 (23-for-55) after his promotion to Triple-A earlier this month and hit safely in 13 out of 14 games.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 27
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)