Aug 26, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
The Padres have rewarded prospect outfielder Reymond Fuentes with his first call up to the majors. He’s making the start in center field tonight against the Diamondbacks.
Fuentes, the cousin of Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, was a first-round pick of the Red Sox back in 2009 and eventually found himself shipped to the Padres in the Adrian Gonzalez trade. After struggling to the tune of a .218/.301/.302 batting line last season, the 22-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2013 by batting .330/.413/.448 with six home runs, 43 RBI and 35 stolen bases in 107 games between Double- and Triple-A. He batted .418 (23-for-55) after his promotion to Triple-A earlier this month and hit safely in 13 out of 14 games.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)