Aug 26, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
The Padres have rewarded prospect outfielder Reymond Fuentes with his first call up to the majors. He’s making the start in center field tonight against the Diamondbacks.
Fuentes, the cousin of Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, was a first-round pick of the Red Sox back in 2009 and eventually found himself shipped to the Padres in the Adrian Gonzalez trade. After struggling to the tune of a .218/.301/.302 batting line last season, the 22-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2013 by batting .330/.413/.448 with six home runs, 43 RBI and 35 stolen bases in 107 games between Double- and Triple-A. He batted .418 (23-for-55) after his promotion to Triple-A earlier this month and hit safely in 13 out of 14 games.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)