Aug 26, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Nationals starter Dan Haren has cleared waivers so anyone can trade for him. If they do it before the end of August, anyone who trades for him can have him on their postseason roster. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports, however, that acquiring him will be costly as the Nationals want a “group of prospects” for Haren.
Haren started out the season stinking on ice, but since the beginning of July he has a 2.53 ERA and 54/11 K/BB ratio in 57 innings. There are any number of teams who could use him. That Goold is reporting on this is evidence that the Cardinals are — or at least should be — interested.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 103
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)