Aug 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oh no. Mike Francesa of WFAN radio in New York reports that Harvey has a torn UCL in his elbow, which is the injury that requires Tommy John surgery and a 12-month recovery timetable.
UPDATE #2: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York confirms that Harvey has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL. No official word yet on whether he’ll undergo surgery, but he’s headed to the disabled list.
Harvey allowed a career-high 13 hits in a loss to the Tigers on Saturday and there had already been talk of the Mets shutting him down early to limit his workload.
Harvey has had a spectacular first full season in the majors, posting a 2.27 ERA in 26 starts while striking out a league-leading 191 batters in 178 innings and holding opponents for a .209 batting average. If not for Clayton Kershaw being so ridiculously good Harvey would likely be the NL favorite for the Cy Young award.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)