Aug 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oh no. Mike Francesa of WFAN radio in New York reports that Harvey has a torn UCL in his elbow, which is the injury that requires Tommy John surgery and a 12-month recovery timetable.
UPDATE #2: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York confirms that Harvey has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL. No official word yet on whether he’ll undergo surgery, but he’s headed to the disabled list.
Harvey allowed a career-high 13 hits in a loss to the Tigers on Saturday and there had already been talk of the Mets shutting him down early to limit his workload.
Harvey has had a spectacular first full season in the majors, posting a 2.27 ERA in 26 starts while striking out a league-leading 191 batters in 178 innings and holding opponents for a .209 batting average. If not for Clayton Kershaw being so ridiculously good Harvey would likely be the NL favorite for the Cy Young award.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)