Aug 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oh no. Mike Francesa of WFAN radio in New York reports that Harvey has a torn UCL in his elbow, which is the injury that requires Tommy John surgery and a 12-month recovery timetable.
UPDATE #2: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York confirms that Harvey has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL. No official word yet on whether he’ll undergo surgery, but he’s headed to the disabled list.
Harvey allowed a career-high 13 hits in a loss to the Tigers on Saturday and there had already been talk of the Mets shutting him down early to limit his workload.
Harvey has had a spectacular first full season in the majors, posting a 2.27 ERA in 26 starts while striking out a league-leading 191 batters in 178 innings and holding opponents for a .209 batting average. If not for Clayton Kershaw being so ridiculously good Harvey would likely be the NL favorite for the Cy Young award.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)