Aug 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oh no. Mike Francesa of WFAN radio in New York reports that Harvey has a torn UCL in his elbow, which is the injury that requires Tommy John surgery and a 12-month recovery timetable.
UPDATE #2: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York confirms that Harvey has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL. No official word yet on whether he’ll undergo surgery, but he’s headed to the disabled list.
Harvey allowed a career-high 13 hits in a loss to the Tigers on Saturday and there had already been talk of the Mets shutting him down early to limit his workload.
Harvey has had a spectacular first full season in the majors, posting a 2.27 ERA in 26 starts while striking out a league-leading 191 batters in 178 innings and holding opponents for a .209 batting average. If not for Clayton Kershaw being so ridiculously good Harvey would likely be the NL favorite for the Cy Young award.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)