Aug 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oh no. Mike Francesa of WFAN radio in New York reports that Harvey has a torn UCL in his elbow, which is the injury that requires Tommy John surgery and a 12-month recovery timetable.
UPDATE #2: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York confirms that Harvey has been diagnosed with a partially torn UCL. No official word yet on whether he’ll undergo surgery, but he’s headed to the disabled list.
Harvey allowed a career-high 13 hits in a loss to the Tigers on Saturday and there had already been talk of the Mets shutting him down early to limit his workload.
Harvey has had a spectacular first full season in the majors, posting a 2.27 ERA in 26 starts while striking out a league-leading 191 batters in 178 innings and holding opponents for a .209 batting average. If not for Clayton Kershaw being so ridiculously good Harvey would likely be the NL favorite for the Cy Young award.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)