Alex Rodriguez hits 650th career homer, but will he pass Willie Mays?

Aug 27, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

New York Yankees v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez continues to play pretty well for the Yankees, hitting .271 with a .783 OPS that’s solidly above the MLB average of .715, and last night he homered off R.A. Dickey for the 650th bomb of his career.

Here’s what the all-time homer leaderboard now looks like:

Barry Bonds      762
Hank Aaron       755
Babe Ruth        714
Willie Mays      660
Alex Rodriguez   650
Ken Griffey Jr.  630
Jim Thome        612
Sammy Sosa       609
Frank Robinson   586
Mark McGwire     583

Even at age 37 and in his diminished state Rodriguez would be a lock to pass Willie Mays for fourth place all time–which would trigger a $6 million bonus in his contract–but he’s unlikely to do so by the end of this season and with the suspension looming who knows if he ever steps on the field again beyond next month.

1. number42is1 - Aug 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

he has an excellent chance to get it this season. it will e interesting to see if he is one or two away with a week to go and the Yanks decide to just bench him.

• michaelle123 - Aug 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

steve. I can see what your saying… Thelma`s artlclee is neat, on wednesday I got a top of the range Lotus Carlton after earning $7633 this-last/month and just over ten grand last munth. without a doubt it is the nicest work I have ever had. I began this three months/ago and right away was earning more than $70…
      per-hour. I work through this link,,go to this site home tab for more detail—>>> http://qr.net/kPJy

2. mybrunoblog - Aug 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Who cares if he passes Mays? It’s all tainted so for me even Arod passes Mays it does’nt mean much.

• Kevin S. - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Because Mays performance enhancing drug usage didn’t count, right?

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Oh come on – how much more Kaboom do you think the guy would have sold if he’d been taking PEDs? There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that Centrum can improve a pitchman’s delivery.

• paperlions - Aug 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Personally, I love how we ignore the PED usage of previous generations AND the PED usage by pitchers…as if only hitters could possibly benefit from PEDs. If a roided up hitter was facing roided up pitchers, who gained the bigger advantage?

• Old Gator - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I don’t ignore it at all. I still remember vividly how, as a kid, I depended on the upperclassmen to provide me with weed. I have always been, and always will be, grateful.

3. nbjays - Aug 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

More to the point, will anyone care or consider his tainted total better than Mays’ 660.

4. edelmanfanclub - Aug 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM

He won’t hit 11 by the end of this year. Maybe next year, but then again he’ll probably be suspended and won’t have a crack at it until he’s 40. He can pass Mays then (if he’s still in baseball).

• largebill - Aug 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

How can you say definitively the “he won’t hit 11 by end of the year”? I will admit it is unlikely. However, 11 homers in 31 games is not impossible. My guess is he will hit five more this season, but I would not be incredibly shocked if he has a hot stretch and hits 11.

• badintent - Aug 28, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Arodless being Arodless. He’ll swing for the fences , won’t care how many times he strikes out in critical situations for the team and being the conceited idiot he always has been.After Dempster took 4 pitches to hit him, the umps will protect him and he may get hot like Soriano. Stranger things have happened. Look at the Snowden IRS and NSA leaks

5. Jeremy T - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I’d say he probably gets on the field again after the suspension is over. He still has a lot of years and a lot of dollars left on that contract, and I doubt the Yankees are just going to cut him without giving him a chance to show he can still play. However, that all goes out the window if he’s terrible. My guess is that he catches Mays sometime in the summer of 2015, and then gets released June 2016 after a little over a season of slightly below-average play.

6. greymares - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM

To even mention this scumbag with the greatest all around baseball player in the history of the game is absurd. and before any of you jokesters say differently the scumbag is Rodriqez

• gallyhatch - Aug 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I’m pretty sure this article is about Alex Rodriguez, not this Rodriqez you seem to dislike so much.

• Jeremy T - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I’m pretty sure the actual log of what happened is what’s mentioning him with Mays. Just in HR count. Mays is still the better player in an all-time sense.

• 18thstreet - Aug 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Complaining about the idea of mentioning one thing and then mentioning another thing is really an objection to the idea of sentences themselves.

7. millmannj - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM

@paperlions- Amen. The sportswriters love to rant and rave about the rampant use of PEDs in baseball. But if everyone was using, (hitters AND pitchers) aren’t we talking about a level playing field?

8. historiophiliac - Aug 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM