Aug 27, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
This disappointing 2013 season for Giants outfielder Andres Torres just got even more disappointing.
Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Torres will undergo surgery this week to remove bone spurs from the area around his Achilles tendon and will require at least a six-month rehab. That is crushing news for the 35-year-old impending free agent, who batted just .250/.302/.342 in 300 plate appearances this summer for San Francisco.
Torres, a career .242/.317/.382 hitter in the major leagues, could have to settle for a minor league contract this winter because he won’t be available on Opening Day for the team that signs him.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)