Aug 27, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
This disappointing 2013 season for Giants outfielder Andres Torres just got even more disappointing.
Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Torres will undergo surgery this week to remove bone spurs from the area around his Achilles tendon and will require at least a six-month rehab. That is crushing news for the 35-year-old impending free agent, who batted just .250/.302/.342 in 300 plate appearances this summer for San Francisco.
Torres, a career .242/.317/.382 hitter in the major leagues, could have to settle for a minor league contract this winter because he won’t be available on Opening Day for the team that signs him.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)