Aug 27, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT
This disappointing 2013 season for Giants outfielder Andres Torres just got even more disappointing.
Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Torres will undergo surgery this week to remove bone spurs from the area around his Achilles tendon and will require at least a six-month rehab. That is crushing news for the 35-year-old impending free agent, who batted just .250/.302/.342 in 300 plate appearances this summer for San Francisco.
Torres, a career .242/.317/.382 hitter in the major leagues, could have to settle for a minor league contract this winter because he won’t be available on Opening Day for the team that signs him.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11