Aug 27, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
This disappointing 2013 season for Giants outfielder Andres Torres just got even more disappointing.
Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Torres will undergo surgery this week to remove bone spurs from the area around his Achilles tendon and will require at least a six-month rehab. That is crushing news for the 35-year-old impending free agent, who batted just .250/.302/.342 in 300 plate appearances this summer for San Francisco.
Torres, a career .242/.317/.382 hitter in the major leagues, could have to settle for a minor league contract this winter because he won’t be available on Opening Day for the team that signs him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (154)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)