Aug 27, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
This disappointing 2013 season for Giants outfielder Andres Torres just got even more disappointing.
Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Torres will undergo surgery this week to remove bone spurs from the area around his Achilles tendon and will require at least a six-month rehab. That is crushing news for the 35-year-old impending free agent, who batted just .250/.302/.342 in 300 plate appearances this summer for San Francisco.
Torres, a career .242/.317/.382 hitter in the major leagues, could have to settle for a minor league contract this winter because he won’t be available on Opening Day for the team that signs him.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 63
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 30
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 20
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)