Aug 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Last week I wrote about how Barry Zito trying to save his rotation spot with a start at Coors Field seemed like it was bound to fail and sure enough he failed to make it out of the fifth inning last night against the Rockies.
Zito allowed five runs in four innings, serving up a pair of homers, and dropped to a remarkable 0-8 with a 9.25 ERA on the road this season.
It seems like a distant memory now, but last year the Giants won Zito’s last 14 starts including the postseason. This year they’re 9-14 when he starts and Zito is 0-7 with a 7.78 ERA in 61 innings since June 1, allowing opponents to hit .355 with 14 homers and a .592 slugging percentage during that time.
The only question remaining is whether the Giants will let him continue to take the mound every fifth day for the final month, because there’s obviously no doubt that they’ll decline the $18 million option on his contract for next season and give him an $8 million buyout instead. For their $126 million investment in Zito the Giants have gotten a 51-66 record and 4.64 ERA in 933 innings.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)