Aug 27, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Undone by leg and back problems this year, Jason Kubel was designated for assignment by the Diamondbacks on Tuesday, just five days prior to the roster expansion.
Kubel was finishing up a two-year, $16 million contract with Arizona. He fulfilled his part of the bargain in year one, hitting .253/.328/.506 with 30 homers and 90 RBI in 506 at-bats. However, he had slipped all of the way to .220/.288/.324 with five homers and 32 RBI in 241 at-bats this year.
Because of his physical problems, Kubel had started just two games in three weeks. He was pinch-hitting a lot, but not doing a particularly good job of it. If the Diamondbacks are willing to cover his $1 million buyout for next year, they might be able to flip him to an AL team that could use him as a part-time DH. Cleveland and Texas are a couple of obvious possibilities there.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)