Kill the win? Nah, let’s just reduce its importance

Aug 27, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT

Max Scherzer AP

So I’m reading the latest Jon Heyman column and I’m finding myself agreeing with him more than I am with people coming at the issue he’s discussing from a sabermetric point of view. And I wasn’t even hit on the head this morning or anything.

The topic: the Kill The Win campaign Brian Kenny has been waging at MLB Network and on his NBC Sports Radio show. You’ve probably seen or heard some of it. Basically Kenny is crusading to kill pitcher wins as a stat. Now, I’m not sure that he really wants to eliminate the pitcher win. I suspect this is more about conscious rhetorical overstatement in order to shock people into looking at the issue more thoughtfully. Like, Kenny is at 11 in order to get people up to a 5. It makes sense, as do Kenny’s underlying arguments about why the win stat is misleading and way less useful than people tend to think. We’ve been talking about that for years here, of course.

But to the extent this is actually about killing the win — or to the extent people take the baton from Kenny and make extreme arguments about wins being utterly meaningless — I’m more on Heyman’s side of things. Heyman, you may not realize, is actually pretty sensible about pitcher wins. He voted for Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young a few years ago despite the low win totals. He understands that strikeouts and baserunners and stuff matter more than wins. This thinking somehow disappears when he starts talking about Jack Morris and the Hall of Fame but he’s no Hawk Harrellson or Harold Reynolds about these things.

I don’t value wins too much in pitcher analysis, but I don’t think they’re utterly meaningless. For me they’re attention-getters more than anything. When I’m looking through stats from past decades and I see pitchers with big win totals I tend to want to look more deeply at their stat lines to see what kind of season they really had. If I see pitchers who I know (or heard) were good, I notice low win totals and look at their teammates and strikeouts and unearned run totals and things.  I use wins as a signpost, and I’m glad they’re there for those purposes. Growing up in the 70s and 80s wins were much talked about and no matter how much my thinking has advanced, I still key on them some. Having them around is like having the common phrases page in the back of your guidebook while traveling in a foreign country.

Also: wins are fun to talk about outside of analysis. As are bunts and batting average. I like having them around for that kind of fun and I like talking about them as long as people don’t mistake the fun talk for meaningful analytical talk. It’d be a real bummer if those stats disappeared simply because we don’t use them the way we used to.

Ultimately all of this may turn on how you feel about revolutions in general. I’m kind of a cautious guy with small-c conservative tendencies. I’m pro-change and advancement and think science and math and change and the future are wonderful things that we should embrace and not fear.  But I am wary of rhetorical extremes and ideas which posit that the past is crap and must be abandoned if we are to advance.

Kill the win? Nah. Just reduce it’s significance. And keep it around like we keep around record players and manual typewriters and stuff. They’re neat.

Latest Posts
  1. Justin Verlander threw four simulated innings on Tuesday

May 26, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT

justin verlander getty Getty Images

Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander took what might be the final step before a rehab assignment Tuesday afternoon at Oakland’s O.Co Coliseum …

2. Jean Segura to return from fractured pinkie on Friday

May 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT

jean segura getty Getty Images

Brewers shortstop Jean Segura appeared to be in for an extended absence when he landed on the disabled list May 14 with a fracture in the pinkie on his throwing hand …

3. So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on …

May 26, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT

uribe getty Getty Images

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says the trade is done and is only awaiting approval from the commissioner’s office.

4. Video: Hunter Pence hit a laser beam homer in Milwaukee

May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

hunter pence getty Getty Images

Check out this laser shot that Hunter Pence crushed Tuesday night at Milwaukee’s Miller Park …

5. Video: Josh Harrison recovers to make a sweet grab

May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT

josh harrison getty Getty Images

This wasn’t really a great catch by Josh Harrison because he bungled the route, but it did look cool …

6. Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild

May 26, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT

amaro getty Getty Images

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com Monday that he is tired of fans who “bitch and complain” about the moves made by his front office. He went on an apology tour for those comments Tuesday …

7. Matt Harvey fine to start Friday night against the Marlins after reports of “dead arm” problem

May 26, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

matt harvey getty Getty Images

Mets ace Matt Harvey had the worst start of his young major league career on Saturday against the Pirates, surrendering seven runs in four innings, and manager Terry Collins indicated a few days later that Harvey is fighting through a period of “dead arm.”

8. Brandon Phillips reaggravated his turf toe

May 26, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

brandon phillips getty Getty Images

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips missed back-to-back games earlier this month after being diagnosed with a painful case of turf toe in his left foot, and now the problem has resurfaced.

9. Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday

May 26, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT

Jonathan Lucroy Getty Getty Images

Lucroy finished fourth in the MVP voting last season.

10. Charter Communications to offer Dodgers broadcasts to its customers in Southern California

May 26, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT

dodgers logo

Charter Communications customers in Glendale, Burbank, Malibu and Long Beach will be getting the Dodgers’ network within the next few weeks.

11. Casey McGehee accepts Giants’ demotion to Triple-A

May 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT

casey mcgehee getty Getty Images

McGehee and his $4.8 million salary predictably cleared waivers.

12. Royals lead the way in the first round of American League All-Star balloting

May 26, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

All-Star Logo

Five starting positions out of nine slots currently belong to Royals players.

13. Johnny Cueto’s MRI comes back clean

May 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Johnny Cueto Getty Images

Good news for the Reds’ biggest trade chit — er, I mean, for their ace.

14. Video: Suuuuure, pitchers use foreign substances because they just want a better grip

May 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

will smith substance arm

In other news, why do we take pitchers at their word when they claim that they’re not really trying to get something extra on the ball?

15. Finger sprain sends Michael Morse to Marlins’ disabled list

May 26, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT

Michael Morse Marlins Getty Images

Signed to a two-year, $16 million deal this offseason, Morse has hit just .211 with two homers and a .557 OPS in 37 games.

16. Orioles prospect Dylan Bundy has more arm problems

May 26, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT

dylan bundy orioles getty Getty Images

Bundy was scratched from his scheduled start at Double-A.

1. J. Hamilton (3476)