Kill the win? Nah, let’s just reduce its importance

Aug 27, 2013, 9:45 AM EST

Max Scherzer AP

So I’m reading the latest Jon Heyman column and I’m finding myself agreeing with him more than I am with people coming at the issue he’s discussing from a sabermetric point of view. And I wasn’t even hit on the head this morning or anything.

The topic: the Kill The Win campaign Brian Kenny has been waging at MLB Network and on his NBC Sports Radio show. You’ve probably seen or heard some of it. Basically Kenny is crusading to kill pitcher wins as a stat. Now, I’m not sure that he really wants to eliminate the pitcher win. I suspect this is more about conscious rhetorical overstatement in order to shock people into looking at the issue more thoughtfully. Like, Kenny is at 11 in order to get people up to a 5. It makes sense, as do Kenny’s underlying arguments about why the win stat is misleading and way less useful than people tend to think. We’ve been talking about that for years here, of course.

But to the extent this is actually about killing the win — or to the extent people take the baton from Kenny and make extreme arguments about wins being utterly meaningless — I’m more on Heyman’s side of things. Heyman, you may not realize, is actually pretty sensible about pitcher wins. He voted for Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young a few years ago despite the low win totals. He understands that strikeouts and baserunners and stuff matter more than wins. This thinking somehow disappears when he starts talking about Jack Morris and the Hall of Fame but he’s no Hawk Harrellson or Harold Reynolds about these things.

I don’t value wins too much in pitcher analysis, but I don’t think they’re utterly meaningless. For me they’re attention-getters more than anything. When I’m looking through stats from past decades and I see pitchers with big win totals I tend to want to look more deeply at their stat lines to see what kind of season they really had. If I see pitchers who I know (or heard) were good, I notice low win totals and look at their teammates and strikeouts and unearned run totals and things.  I use wins as a signpost, and I’m glad they’re there for those purposes. Growing up in the 70s and 80s wins were much talked about and no matter how much my thinking has advanced, I still key on them some. Having them around is like having the common phrases page in the back of your guidebook while traveling in a foreign country.

Also: wins are fun to talk about outside of analysis. As are bunts and batting average. I like having them around for that kind of fun and I like talking about them as long as people don’t mistake the fun talk for meaningful analytical talk. It’d be a real bummer if those stats disappeared simply because we don’t use them the way we used to.

Ultimately all of this may turn on how you feel about revolutions in general. I’m kind of a cautious guy with small-c conservative tendencies. I’m pro-change and advancement and think science and math and change and the future are wonderful things that we should embrace and not fear.  But I am wary of rhetorical extremes and ideas which posit that the past is crap and must be abandoned if we are to advance.

Kill the win? Nah. Just reduce it’s significance. And keep it around like we keep around record players and manual typewriters and stuff. They’re neat.

Latest Posts
  1. Chihiro Kaneko re-signs with Orix Buffaloes

Dec 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

kaneko getty Getty Images

Japanese righty Chihiro Kaneko might have been one of the top starters on the open market this winter had he been posted by the Orix Buffaloes, his Nippon Professional Baseball team.

2. 2015 Free Agent Tracker

Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EST

Hanley Ramirez Hanley Ramirez

Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.

3. Merry Christmas from HBT!

Dec 25, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 8.45.33 AM

And a very special friend of HBT

4. Tommy Lasorda reads “Twas the Night Before Christmas”

Dec 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

mlb video

A good way to finish off our Christmas Eve coverage on HardballTalk …

5. Kenta Maeda re-signs with the Hiroshima Carp

Dec 24, 2014, 8:04 PM EST

kenta maeda getty Getty Images

The sought-after 26-year-old right-hander has now officially re-signed with the Hiroshima Carp for the 2015 season, according to the Japan Times.

6. Rockies sign outfielder Roger Bernadina

Dec 24, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

roger bernadina getty Getty Images

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Rockies have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with outfielder Roger Bernadina.

7. What baseball team did people from Bedford Falls root for?

Dec 24, 2014, 4:21 PM EST

IAWL

A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town. Well, except for Mr. Potter. That guy is LOADED.

8. The Braves and A.J. Pierzynski reach a one-year deal; first reported in a ham store

Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Ham

No, really. The news broke on line at a Honeybaked Ham store.

9. THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year

Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

megaphone

Based on these results, no, we will not stick to baseball. Because you clearly don’t want us to.

10. Orioles re-sign Delmon Young

Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Delmon Young Getty Images

Buck Showalter found a way to get value out of Young in a part-time role.

11. “There’s a decent chance” the Rays will trade Ben Zobrist

Dec 24, 2014, 11:16 AM EST

Ben Zobrist AP

Zobrist has been a regular for the Rays since 2008.

12. The average major league salary is up to $3.8 million

Dec 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Money Bag

Money don’t get everything it’s true. But what it don’t get, I can’t use

13. The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what?

Dec 24, 2014, 9:14 AM EST

Jeter and A-Rod

Dirty secret: baseball isn’t always about winning. Even when the Yankees are involved.

14. Video: Nationals Park transforms into ice rink for next week’s 2015 Winter Classic

Dec 23, 2014, 10:59 PM EST

2015 winter classic logo

“NHL Live” on NBC Sports Network ended a segment Tuesday night with this time-lapse video of Nationals Park being converted from a baseball field into an ice rink for next week’s 2015 NHL Winter Classic between the Washington Capitals and visiting Chicago Blackhawks …

15. Padres ink Brett Wallace to minor league contract

Dec 23, 2014, 9:44 PM EST

brett wallace getty Getty Images

As first reported by Matt Eddy of Baseball America, the Padres have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with first baseman Brett Wallace. The deal comes with an invitation to …

16. Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract

Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 PM EST

jason grilli getty Getty Images

From FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal comes word that the Braves have signed 38-year-old right-handed reliever Jason Grilli to a two-year, $8 million contract with a club option for 2017 …

17. Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada expected to begin private workouts within two weeks

Dec 23, 2014, 7:58 PM EST

cuba hat

19-year-old infield prospect Yoan Moncada defected from his native Cuba over the summer and was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball back in mid-November, but he is still waiting for official clearance from the United States’ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) …

18. Cubs announce two-year, $5 million deal with David Ross

Dec 23, 2014, 6:23 PM EST

david ross

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was first to report that a deal was in place between the Cubs and veteran catcher David Ross, and now that agreement has been made official …

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2747)
  2. W. Myers (2501)
  3. D. Ross (2134)
  4. C. McGehee (2108)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1953)
  1. J. Shields (1849)