Aug 27, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Betemit has been activated from the 60-day disabled list and will be available off the Orioles’ bench for Tuesday night’s series-opener at Boston’s Fenway Park. Ryan Flaherty was optioned to High-A Frederick in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Betemit had 12 home runs, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 376 plate appearances last season for Baltimore and could be a nice source of power down the stretch.
The 31-year-old will serve as a pinch-hitter and part-time DH.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)