Aug 27, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Betemit has been activated from the 60-day disabled list and will be available off the Orioles’ bench for Tuesday night’s series-opener at Boston’s Fenway Park. Ryan Flaherty was optioned to High-A Frederick in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Betemit had 12 home runs, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 376 plate appearances last season for Baltimore and could be a nice source of power down the stretch.
The 31-year-old will serve as a pinch-hitter and part-time DH.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 3
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)