Aug 27, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
Betemit has been activated from the 60-day disabled list and will be available off the Orioles’ bench for Tuesday night’s series-opener at Boston’s Fenway Park. Ryan Flaherty was optioned to High-A Frederick in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Betemit had 12 home runs, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 376 plate appearances last season for Baltimore and could be a nice source of power down the stretch.
The 31-year-old will serve as a pinch-hitter and part-time DH.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)