Aug 27, 2013, 7:19 PM EST
Betemit has been activated from the 60-day disabled list and will be available off the Orioles’ bench for Tuesday night’s series-opener at Boston’s Fenway Park. Ryan Flaherty was optioned to High-A Frederick in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
Betemit had 12 home runs, 19 doubles and 40 RBI in 376 plate appearances last season for Baltimore and could be a nice source of power down the stretch.
The 31-year-old will serve as a pinch-hitter and part-time DH.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)