Aug 27, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
Jeff Beliveau was recalled from Triple-A Durham in a corresponding roster move to pitch in middle relief.
Hellickson has a rough 5.21 ERA in 27 starts this season and an especially-putrid 9.15 ERA in five starts this month. He’s not going to throw a pitch for the Charlotte Stone Crabs; instead he will rest for a week and return to the majors when the Florida State League regular season concludes on September 1.
The Rays haven’t decided what role Hellickson will have when he’s brought back up.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 129
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (134)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)