Aug 27, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
Jeff Beliveau was recalled from Triple-A Durham in a corresponding roster move to pitch in middle relief.
Hellickson has a rough 5.21 ERA in 27 starts this season and an especially-putrid 9.15 ERA in five starts this month. He’s not going to throw a pitch for the Charlotte Stone Crabs; instead he will rest for a week and return to the majors when the Florida State League regular season concludes on September 1.
The Rays haven’t decided what role Hellickson will have when he’s brought back up.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)