Aug 27, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
Jeff Beliveau was recalled from Triple-A Durham in a corresponding roster move to pitch in middle relief.
Hellickson has a rough 5.21 ERA in 27 starts this season and an especially-putrid 9.15 ERA in five starts this month. He’s not going to throw a pitch for the Charlotte Stone Crabs; instead he will rest for a week and return to the majors when the Florida State League regular season concludes on September 1.
The Rays haven’t decided what role Hellickson will have when he’s brought back up.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)