Aug 27, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Pirates have acquired outfielder Marlon Byrd and catcher John Buck from the Mets. Earlier in the day it was reported that the two had been placed on waivers and claimed by an unknown team. Now we know. In return the Mets are getting minor leaguer Dilson Herrera and a player to be named later.
Byrd has been something of a revelation for the Mets this year, hitting .285/.330/.518 with 21 homers. Buck started the year incredibly strong but has since been relegated to backup catching duties as the Mets are giving Travis d’Arnaud a shot to be their everyday catcher. Neither Buck nor Byrd are under contract beyond this year. Any hopes that the Mets would hold on to them for a potentially-contending 2014 season were probably dashed with Matt Harvey‘s season coming to an end and his 2014 likely being a washout.
For the Pirates, Byrd will represent an offensive infusion for the stretch run as he will likely take the everyday role from Jose Tabata in left. At least assuming he keeps up what he’s been doing. Buck will provide depth as a backup to Russell Martin. Neither guy is a game-changer, but as the season comes down to the end, every little bit helps.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)