Aug 27, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
Robinson Cano departed Tuesday night’s game versus the Blue Jays after taking a J.A. Happ pitch off his left hand in the top of the first inning. But the early word from the Yankees’ medical staff is good.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, the star second baseman only has a left hand contusion, though he was sent to a local Toronto hospital for precautionary X-rays because there is no X-ray machine at the Blue Jays’ Rogers Centre.
We will pass along word if the diagnosis changes.
Cano, a free agent this winter, has hit .305 with an .891 OPS, 24 home runs and 85 RBI in 132 games this season for the Yanks, who are currently 4 1/2 games back in the American League Wild Card hunt.
UPDATE, 9:21 PM ET: Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the X-rays turned up negative.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 0
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)