Aug 27, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Robinson Cano departed Tuesday night’s game versus the Blue Jays after taking a J.A. Happ pitch off his left hand in the top of the first inning. But the early word from the Yankees’ medical staff is good.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, the star second baseman only has a left hand contusion, though he was sent to a local Toronto hospital for precautionary X-rays because there is no X-ray machine at the Blue Jays’ Rogers Centre.
We will pass along word if the diagnosis changes.
Cano, a free agent this winter, has hit .305 with an .891 OPS, 24 home runs and 85 RBI in 132 games this season for the Yanks, who are currently 4 1/2 games back in the American League Wild Card hunt.
UPDATE, 9:21 PM ET: Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the X-rays turned up negative.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)