Aug 27, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Robinson Cano departed Tuesday night’s game versus the Blue Jays after taking a J.A. Happ pitch off his left hand in the top of the first inning. But the early word from the Yankees’ medical staff is good.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, the star second baseman only has a left hand contusion, though he was sent to a local Toronto hospital for precautionary X-rays because there is no X-ray machine at the Blue Jays’ Rogers Centre.
We will pass along word if the diagnosis changes.
Cano, a free agent this winter, has hit .305 with an .891 OPS, 24 home runs and 85 RBI in 132 games this season for the Yanks, who are currently 4 1/2 games back in the American League Wild Card hunt.
UPDATE, 9:21 PM ET: Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the X-rays turned up negative.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)