Aug 27, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Robinson Cano departed Tuesday night’s game versus the Blue Jays after taking a J.A. Happ pitch off his left hand in the top of the first inning. But the early word from the Yankees’ medical staff is good.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, the star second baseman only has a left hand contusion, though he was sent to a local Toronto hospital for precautionary X-rays because there is no X-ray machine at the Blue Jays’ Rogers Centre.
We will pass along word if the diagnosis changes.
Cano, a free agent this winter, has hit .305 with an .891 OPS, 24 home runs and 85 RBI in 132 games this season for the Yanks, who are currently 4 1/2 games back in the American League Wild Card hunt.
UPDATE, 9:21 PM ET: Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the X-rays turned up negative.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)