Aug 27, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
Robinson Cano departed Tuesday night’s game versus the Blue Jays after taking a J.A. Happ pitch off his left hand in the top of the first inning. But the early word from the Yankees’ medical staff is good.
According to MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch, the star second baseman only has a left hand contusion, though he was sent to a local Toronto hospital for precautionary X-rays because there is no X-ray machine at the Blue Jays’ Rogers Centre.
We will pass along word if the diagnosis changes.
Cano, a free agent this winter, has hit .305 with an .891 OPS, 24 home runs and 85 RBI in 132 games this season for the Yanks, who are currently 4 1/2 games back in the American League Wild Card hunt.
UPDATE, 9:21 PM ET: Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that the X-rays turned up negative.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)