Aug 27, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Detroit activated Alex Avila from the seven-day concussion disabled list after the catcher missed 16 days with a brain injury.
Avila caught seven innings and went 2-for-3 with two walks in a minor-league rehab game Monday at Triple-A to convince the Tigers he was ready to return. He experienced some post-concussions symptoms as recently as last Thursday, but was able to catch in back-to-back games since then.
Prior to the concussion Avila had been playing well in 15 games since the All-Star break, bouncing back from a miserable first half. He’s hitting .198 with with nine homers and a .628 OPS in 73 games overall.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 9
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 14
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 48
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)