Aug 27, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Detroit activated Alex Avila from the seven-day concussion disabled list after the catcher missed 16 days with a brain injury.
Avila caught seven innings and went 2-for-3 with two walks in a minor-league rehab game Monday at Triple-A to convince the Tigers he was ready to return. He experienced some post-concussions symptoms as recently as last Thursday, but was able to catch in back-to-back games since then.
Prior to the concussion Avila had been playing well in 15 games since the All-Star break, bouncing back from a miserable first half. He’s hitting .198 with with nine homers and a .628 OPS in 73 games overall.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)