Aug 27, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Detroit activated Alex Avila from the seven-day concussion disabled list after the catcher missed 16 days with a brain injury.
Avila caught seven innings and went 2-for-3 with two walks in a minor-league rehab game Monday at Triple-A to convince the Tigers he was ready to return. He experienced some post-concussions symptoms as recently as last Thursday, but was able to catch in back-to-back games since then.
Prior to the concussion Avila had been playing well in 15 games since the All-Star break, bouncing back from a miserable first half. He’s hitting .198 with with nine homers and a .628 OPS in 73 games overall.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)