Aug 27, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
Remember last week when Bill Plaschke and Scott Miller freaked out about Don Mattingly not benching Yasiel Puig for longer than he did? About how this will lead to his ruination and how his benefits as a player could be outweighed by his attitude and on-field gaffes?
Well, since the Puig benching he has hit .292/.333/.625 with a couple of homers. That includes last night’s game when he fell a triple short of the cycle. The Dodgers are 5-2 during that stretch.
No, that’s not his June-July pace, but no one could expect that to be kept up regardless. What it is is a fine performance for a rookie — or for everyone — over a seven day period which does not suggest a guy who has gone crazy with ego and power. He’s just a ballplayer playing ball.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)