Aug 27, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did Zack Greinke take a shutout into the ninth inning against the Cubs last night to improve to 13-3 with a 2.86 ERA, he also went 1-for-2 with an RBI single and a walk at the plate to continue a remarkable season offensively.
Greinke is hitting .340 with a .426 on-base percentage in 59 plate appearances. For some context, Yadier Molina leads the league with a .332 batting average and Joey Votto leads the league with a .438 on-base percentage.
Greinke has an .809 OPS, which is higher than, among other NL hitters, Brandon Phillips, Chase Headley, Ryan Zimmerman, Starling Marte, Pedro Alvarez, Jason Heyward, Hunter Pence, Andre Ethier, Adam LaRoche, David Freese, and Pablo Sandoval. Dodgers teammate Adrian Gonzalez is also on that list and in fact Greinke has a higher OPS than every Dodgers hitter except Hanley Ramirez, Yasiel Puig, and Scott Van Slyke.
As for pitchers hitting, the last one to get at least 50 plate appearances and post an on-base percentage above Greinke’s current .426 mark was fellow Dodgers star Don Newcombe at .434 in 1958. That was the Dodgers’ first season in Los Angeles and they traded the former MVP and Cy Young winner to the Reds in June.
And here’s the really weird part: Prior to this season Greinke was a career .170 hitter with 23 strikeouts versus three walks in 123 plate appearances, although he did have three homers and five doubles. This year he has the same number of walks (6) as strikeouts (6) and zero homers.
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 0
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 14
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (95)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)